Log Status output

Support

Postby Support » Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:26 pm

If you do want to do this modification, I would make sure that the wires on the relay are well insulated and that the relay is glued or taped to the board in some way so it can't move around inside the case. If the relay does move over time and the ground wire shorts against the power input you can get a large bang and the track coming off the DL1 PCB. That definately won't be covered under warranty.

Martin

jlucas

Postby jlucas » Fri Mar 03, 2006 10:49 am

So Martin, what are the chances of making something like this standard on future DL1s?
Jeremy Lucas
Fast Tech Limited - a Race Technology Dealer

Support

Postby Support » Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:39 pm

I will look at putting a beefier drive on the output at the back of the unit. I am unlikely to go with a very bright light on the front of the unit. If I did that I would get at least as many people telling me that the light is too bright.

You can please some people all of the time .....

Martin

tristancliffe

Postby tristancliffe » Mon Mar 26, 2007 3:56 pm

Glad I found this thread - I assumed that the Status Indicator output was in fact a feed (e.g. 5V 50mA), but the manual only made reference to the 50mA bit. Spent a while looking for the output voltage.

Now I see that it acts as the earth for a light, making a circuit when logging and breaking it when not, and is able to cope with 50mA.

Perhaps the manual can be updated to make this a bit clearer for future users? Or perhaps the hardware can be modified so that it is a small output to suit bulbs or LEDs (2.2V 50mA would be enough to light most LEDs without the need for a ballast resistor. Even better would be a variable output, from 2 to 12V configurable in the software, so any bulb or LED can be driven directly...
Monoposto 2000 - Reynard 883 Toyota

Cashmo

Postby Cashmo » Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:38 am

I used Stan's setup on my first DL1 but the new one's installation is more permanent so I used a Radio Shack part #276-0271 http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062569 LED assembly with built in resistor per the KB article at http://www.race-technology.com/wiki/index.php/HowDoI/ConnectALoggingIndicator.

Dan in Saint Louis

Postby Dan in Saint Louis » Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:13 pm

jlucas wrote:Stan, can you give more specifics an adding that LED? maybe an inside picture?

Jeremy, we bought the DL-1 for motorcycle testing and the panel light was not in the rider's line of vision. I stuffed a pushbutton switch (to start logging) and a bright LED (to verify operation) into a plastic 35mm film can at the end of a cable. We can tape that to the motorcycle handlebar or fairing wherever it works best for the rider.
--Dan in Saint Louis

Return to “General support questions”