LINK G4+ ,ECU CAN ADAPTOR, DASH 2

DAVE_PRO_TUNING

LINK G4+ ,ECU CAN ADAPTOR, DASH 2

Postby DAVE_PRO_TUNING » Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:39 am

Hi all,
We have a new LINK G4+ ECU in a car, we are trying to setup the RT DASH 2 dash and also have a RT CAN Adaptor.
Does the configuration settings for the CAN adaptor get installed to the dash and the CAN adaptor simply runs like a slave being controlled via the dash and the settings with in.
We are trying to set this dash up to work on CAN BUS, hence for the CAN adaptor.
There is no G4+ CAN config in the software for the DASH 2, only for the DASH 2 PRO.
We can not get anything working.
Can anybody please give me some pointers on setting up the DASH 2 with CAN ADAPTOR to communicate with the G4+ ECU.
Thanks for your time.
Regards
Dave.

racetec
Site Admin

Re: LINK G4+ ,ECU CAN ADAPTOR, DASH 2

Postby racetec » Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:23 pm

If you ordered the CAN adapter for the G4+ then it will be programmed for those CAN messages. You will need to make sure that your ECU is correctly configured to output the right data, follow the link here for information on that:

https://www.race-technology.com/wiki/in ... /LinkG4CAN

At the bottom of that link is a list of channels you will get from the adapter. This interface hasn't been added to the DASH2 config software yet, but all that does is enables the channels listed. Instead, go to the Other Data Sources section, click on Enable all channels, then just tick the channels you wish to use from the list of available channels.

Martin

DAVE_PRO_TUNING

Postby DAVE_PRO_TUNING » Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:57 pm

Hi Martin,
wow, thanks for the quick reply to my request.
Thanks also for the information and accompanying link.
I really appreciate the excellent product support.
Thanks again
Regards
Dave. :D

DAVE_PRO_TUNING

Postby DAVE_PRO_TUNING » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:03 pm

Hi Martin,
I am having comms issues between my laptop and the DASH2 .
I tried reloading the FIRMWARE to the dash i only had 2 options as the 3rd was for a DL1.
I used REFLASH 9.3.5 as i did a search previously on the forum and one other user was advised to use this firmware as it was at present the most stable operating platform for the DASH 2.
I maybe incorrect but this is how i read it and understood it to mean.
I continually before the firmware change, get comms failure messages, partial loading of config files and then it would stop and say communications failure file failed to upload or complete or similar words.
Then when i tried to do the firmware change to 9.3.5 my laptop locked up, the little status upload screen that opens and says establishing handshake
stopped at 33 seconds when my laptop locked up.
I couldn't do anything.
I had to resort to CTRL,ALT,DELETE and even then i couldn't stop the program from being in limbo.
I removed my ATEN UC 232 Serial to USB converter and then my laptop began to function as per normal.
Now when i power up the DASH 2 the screen is BLANK.
I tested the power supply it is fine.
When i try to send a config etc to it, the headlight lights up and flickers indicating to me the data is flowing and there must be power.
Does this mean the dash needs to be returned to you for reset or can i do something here.
I live in Australia.
Please advise.
Regards
Dave.

racetec
Site Admin

Postby racetec » Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:12 am

Are you able to try this with a different computer / laptop? We have seen issues with problems with some USB / Serial adapters and some laptops. We only use FTDI adapters as they appear to be pretty much bulletproof.
To use the new configuration software you will need to us the V10 firmware which is included in the configuration program. Anything before that and you will need to use the legacy configuration software and won't be able to read back your configuration.

Martin

tomCTR

Postby tomCTR » Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:29 pm

I’m am doing the same at the minute and having similar issues!

I have

Link G4+ extreme ecu
Link CANF connector
RT CAN interface lead pre programmed with link g4+ ecu
Dash 2 display

I installed the CAN interface lead by commenting the terminator connector to 12+ and ground in the loom, then put a Link CANF connector on the can port serial plug.

Using firmware 10 0 6 when I connect the display t the interface lead I get “0” for water temp, AIT readings etc

When I use 9 3 5 firmware, I don’t get any readings or numbers at all, but I now know that it should be version 1 beng used.

Any ideas why I’m not getting the readings on the display?..

DAVE_PRO_TUNING

Postby DAVE_PRO_TUNING » Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:15 pm

Hi tomCTR,
It is a very confusing setup to carry out.
I just wanted to clarify once again to the racetech technician the following.
There was no CAN connection between the G4+ and Dash 2, but the dash display was showing the layout we programmed into it as far as the sensors we wished to observe data from.
We had no problem transferring this data to the dash.
But it seemed to act up when trying to carry out writes and reads to the unit,
It progressively got worse.
This was when i decided to do the FIRMWARE change and it locked up my laptop and things went haywire.
This is the second laptop that has done this.
However, when this happened on my laptop, i shut everything down and left it over night.
When i woke the next day, i went to continue trying to get the DASH 2 to work.
Now when i turn the power onto the DASH 2, the screen is completely blank, NOTHING IS ON THE SCREEN AT ALL.
Same as looking at the screen when the power is turned off.
So i checked power and earth and all is fine.
If i try to read or send default config to the dash, the headlight indication light at the bottom right of the dash flashes as though it is indicating active data transfer of some description.
I am now officially lost.
Hence for my question do i need to return to RACE TECHNOLOGIES to have this unit reset or something.
Kind Regards
DAVE_PRO_TUNING.

tomCTR

Postby tomCTR » Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:26 pm

That is a bit strange it’s going blank and doing that. Have you thought about deleting the RT download and reinstalling dave?

DAVE_PRO_TUNING

Postby DAVE_PRO_TUNING » Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:02 pm

Hi Tom,
i have tried everything.
I have a lot of experience with dashes of all makes and models , however i don't seem to be able to get a grip on this one.
I have just tried to install version 10 firmware as instructed, i get a hand shake, head light blinks on data transfer flashes upgrade to 90% or so and locks up.
When i do the firmware updates the lockup occurs at different %'s.
Just before when i power the unit the shift lights would blink when activation of power occurs.
Since version 10 FW attempt and lock up now the shift lights don't even blink.
Took screen shots but can't upload says files too big.
Shows FW DOWNLOAD status bar stuck at 90.5% and error occurred during transmission, which occurs at different %'s every time i do it.
Second screen shot just has box centre screen, REFLASH FAILED.
As for the ATEN UC 232 SERIALto USB convertor i have never had this unit fail on any device.
Like the unit you use these are also rock solid in performance and reliability.
I just don't understand why the screen is completely blank and now after attempt of Version 10 FW upgrade i don't get shiftlights coming on.
And if i retry FW upgrade there is also now no light blinking indicating comms activity.
Regards
Dave.

DAVE_PRO_TUNING

Postby DAVE_PRO_TUNING » Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:03 am

Hi Race Tech - TECH Dept,
any other suggestions for me please.
Or can i send the unit back to your shop to have setup for me.
Sorry for being a pain, but i am very unwell and what i would normally nut out and rectify myself is getting harder and harder for me to do.
Your help would be appreciated.
Regards
Dave.

tomCTR

Postby tomCTR » Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:20 pm

Right I’m sorted now! Dash is now working

A mixture of speaking to Lorne at RT who checked the config over and double checking my wiring etc..

Ecu and dash 2 now working fine 👍🏻👍🏻

Mark@Abbey m/s

Postby Mark@Abbey m/s » Fri Sep 18, 2020 4:52 pm

TomCTR I am having the same issue as you did , did The Race Tech support guys send you a LInk G4+ Config file for the Dash2?

Thanks

Return to “General software support”