Wheel Speed differential (Detecting loss of traction)

RyanParle

Wheel Speed differential (Detecting loss of traction)

Postby RyanParle » Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:57 pm

I was thinking of using the frequency inputs to monitor the wheel speed of each wheel and then convert it to a differential value that can be used to detect loss of traction, under acceleration (Mighty Mini's don't tend to wheel spin much :wink: ) and more importantly under braking.

First off I guess I'm looking for an equation to calculate MPH from Hz, I guess from there I would create a custom variable that would calculate the difference between the wheel speed values. Is there any way of "highlighting" data when a threshold has been passed, that way it would be easy to tell the difference from the normal differential in cornering vs a loss of traction.

Can anyone help out on how to set this up in the analysis software (i'm using V8.5 if it make any difference)

stephen hooker

Re: Wheel Speed differential (Detecting loss of traction)

Postby stephen hooker » Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:24 am

Set up two frequency channels as speed channels. Set up a math channel to ratio the two speeds as a percentage, or calculate the plus/minus difference in %. Easy-peasy if you are familiar with basic maths functions.
Stephen Hooker
Sydney, Australia

CharlesElliott

Re: Wheel Speed differential (Detecting loss of traction)

Postby CharlesElliott » Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:51 pm

In my experience, the values you get when breaking traction will be significantly greater than normal differential differences when cornering etc. You might also want to compare wheel speed with GPS speed if you are interested in both wheels losing traction on acceleration etc.

Return to “General software support”