Analysis Software - Multiple Vehicles

Greg Amy

Analysis Software - Multiple Vehicles

Postby Greg Amy » Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:34 pm

I've been using R-T race produts for 15 years now...and I've got one annoying issue I've yet to get around to resolving: supporting multiple disparate cars.

What is the best and quickest way to manage multiple cars that are totally disparate in configuration? For example, I'm supporting both a historics 914 running a DL1-Mk2 and DASH-1 as well as a Super Touring Honda Civic with a Dash2Pro, sometimes on the same weekend. Each has its own unique .car file, .var file, and sometimes a different layout. And then each time I go to a new track (or want to swap to the other car), I need to set it all up again.

Surely I've missed a way to be able to do something like "open the setup for the 914", for example, and all I need to do from there is open the .run files?

Of course, I'm still doing all this in v8.5 because, for whatever reason, R-T decided to not support it in v10...

Thoughts?
Greg Amy
FastTech Limited, http://www.fasttechlimited.com/
Data Acquisition, Driver Consultation

Stan

Re: Analysis Software - Multiple Vehicles

Postby Stan » Tue Oct 29, 2019 2:08 am

For sure that sort of stuff can aggravate when you need the information asap and have 100 other things going on. Things like looking over the knowledge base Re: "advanced load/saves"... or a different laptop for each car... or one layout/settings for all of them arranged in advance, but possibly using the different pages/windows in analysis (20 of them) or calc'd/math variables too could help customize them. There are some special case things you can do too, I am sure. I just try to simplify as much as possible, sometimes i help out 7-10 different cars and race myself.

racetec
Site Admin

Postby racetec » Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:39 pm

The short answer is that on the older DL1 MK2 it was a "pain" as the sensor in volts->units conversion was done on the PC, so you had to keeping loading in different variable files. I don't think you are missing anything here.

On later DL1s (MK3 onwards, sold from about 2008) the conversion from volts->units is done on the actual hardware, so the PC software doesn't typically need to "know" about the different configurations. This makes the situation much simpler.

Note that formatting the CF cards for the DL1 MK2 is somewhere between "difficult" to impossible on Windows 7 or Windows 10 PCs, sourcing parts for them is also a real issue (the GPS module is no longer available, for example), so we took the decision to stop supporting them. We do however offer a generous trade in program if you want to update.

Support (AD)

Greg Amy

Postby Greg Amy » Tue Oct 29, 2019 2:23 pm

Thanks AD, I appreciate the follow up. Glad I've not missed anything obvious all these years.

I think that my short-term strategy will be using v8.5 for the historics car and v10 for the new(er) car (they seem to run together OK). Alternatively, it shouldn't be too hard to find a bargain-priced Mk3 or Sport to replace the tried-and-true Mk2...took 7 years to pry the original Mk1 out of my hands... :D Will the Mk3, Club, and/or Sport still drive a DASH-1? I don't want a full-up dash in the historics car, want to keep it as discrete as possible.

Another alternative is to run unique VMWare sessions for each car (just thought of that after reading Stan's suggestion above).

Side note: I use "MiniTool Partition Wizard 10" to format older CF cards to the older pre-win10 format.
Greg Amy
FastTech Limited, http://www.fasttechlimited.com/
Data Acquisition, Driver Consultation

Stan

Postby Stan » Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:26 pm

Right you just have to "find a way" really, it can be sorted. I like to wifi files to my laptop from a mounted GoPro, for instance.

Return to “General software support”