RPM signal from ecu

cmracing

RPM signal from ecu

Postby cmracing » Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:48 am

New user. Recently purchased a DL1 club and Dash4 Pro to use in my race car (Renault Clio 182). I have located the wire from the ecu to the rev counter (stock ecu). Am i right in saying i can piggy back off this wire and connect it to the rl port on the rear of the DL1 club and do i need to connect an earth wire to the GND port next to the rl port. Not sure yet how to configure the DL1 club to accept this rpm signal but once configured will the data logger send this info to the Dash4 Pro or will this have to be configured separately. I am searching the forum for suitable answers but not found any.

Stan

Re: RPM signal from ecu

Postby Stan » Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:39 pm

Applications vary, but the ECU's tachometer signal to the DL1's low level RPM input should be fine. Grounding the logger well to chassis ground or even to the ECU case should be fine.

In the Analysis software's Data tab, find "...vehicle options" and look for the RPM area, set as needed until you get true readings. You can get a multiple or fraction of the true RPM if set wrong.

In the Dash 4 Pro's Display configuration application on your PC, the same basic concepts are used to set things appropriately. You can do custom screens if desired. Both the display and logger receive firmware updates by connecting to your PC and the configuration tabs for each device. You can update the display by connecting your laptop to your DL1 via USB cable for instance, same with the DL1.

Check the Knowledge base on this website for additional ideas too. There is a great deal of information therein. The forum is a bit legacy so you may get faster responses emailing or messaging RT directly.

cmracing

Postby cmracing » Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:54 pm

Thanks for the reply Stan, I'll give that a go. The other option I was looking at was using an OBD ll can bus signal converter but this involves costs. The idea is to keep costs to a minimum ((it's not cheap running a race car)

Stan

Postby Stan » Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:12 pm

The OBD2 port can sometimes have other things to keep in mind and setup. There can be sync issues, or slow sampling for some cars, not sure about yours however. You can wind up with enuf samples per second for a live display, but less than some other things you are logging at 100 hz. If you just need the RPM signal, getting it from the low level signal wire you've already identified might be the simplest way to go. And can continue if you use a standalone later on without OBD2. So there are a few different ways to go, depending on your needs.

Return to “General software support”