Speed sensor via ABS

jam-sport

Speed sensor via ABS

Postby jam-sport » Fri May 11, 2007 4:53 pm

Currently fitting the DASH 2 to a fiesta st, 2006 car.

I plan to use the ABS sensor as the speed sensor, how can i calibrate the dash to pick up the wheel speed.

The abs sensor has 2 wires going to it, i have T'd into one of these and connected it to the brown wire on the Dash 2 loom. how can i calibrate this signal to display a speed?

any help greatly appreciated!

regards

jamsport

RTUSA
Site Admin

Postby RTUSA » Tue May 15, 2007 12:35 pm

If this vehicle will be used on the public roads, we would strongly recommend against teeing into any safety critical sensor such as an ABS sensor. Even if it is track-only vehicle, be careful, as teeing into any sensor will inevitably lower the impedance on the signal line, potentially changing or interfering with its function.

In short, if ABS is functional, I'd stay away from the ABS sensors.

In terms of calibration of speed using direct DASH2 input, it is simply a matter of counting the sensor trigger wheel teeth (or # of bolt heads sensed or whatever), calculating or measuring wheel circumference, calculating pulses per mile, and entering that value directly into the DASH using the external buttons and its internal menu structure.
Al Seim
Race Technology USA

jam-sport

Postby jam-sport » Sat Jun 02, 2007 1:05 pm

Managed to source a can bus adapter, wired it up and it worked immediatly! great, just need to sort the fuel level out now!

jlucas

Postby jlucas » Sat Jun 02, 2007 8:04 pm

Can you elaborate on that? I'm sure there would be a lot of people interested in how you did that.
Jeremy Lucas
Fast Tech Limited - a Race Technology Dealer

Return to “Sensor-related questions”