Lap time sensor

jcmagne

Lap time sensor

Postby jcmagne » Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:36 pm

i would like to buy a lap sensor for use with DL1
It seems you don't sell this kind of sensor.
some tracks where i am going to drive use magnetic system
can i buy alfano sensor or other ?
Thank's in advance
JC Magne

RTUSA
Site Admin

Postby RTUSA » Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:50 pm

JC:

I assume you mean a lap beacon / receiver system. Indeed, we do not sell these as they are generally not needed with a GPS type data system. In fact, the DL1 "Beacon" input is not actually used for a beacon anymore, it is actually used to input lap markers via a manual switch. So basically, you cannot use a beacon input in the conventional way.

Best Regards,
Al Seim
Race Technology USA

jcmagne

Postby jcmagne » Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:10 pm

thank you for your answer.
if the precision with GPS is about 1 % with a time lap about 100 sec (1'40'') the precision will be about 1 sec for a lap ?
or is the précision better with DL1 ?
in fact i would like to be able not to use chronometer...
JC

RTUSA
Site Admin

Postby RTUSA » Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:51 pm

Comparing DL1 lap times to AMB transponder system lap times at several race tracks with lap times of approx 90 - 150 seconds, we normally see agreement within .01 second, so I consider the DL1 lap timing ability to be excellent.
Al Seim
Race Technology USA

Patrick911

Postby Patrick911 » Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:47 pm

Hey guys,

I've got the same problem. I want to connect a lap beacon onto the DL1 and tested it this morning but it didn't work. Then from a cable I put a 5 Volt signal onto the beacon input that worked well. My lap beacon receiver gives a signal with voltage of 5 Volts and the signal lasts 0,05 seconds. But I cannot see the signal neither on the compact flash card nor on the live monitor :roll: .

Where is the problem?
Best regards,
Patrick

RTUSA
Site Admin

Postby RTUSA » Tue Mar 20, 2007 2:22 pm

Patrick:

As mentioned, the "lap beacon" input on the DL1 is misleading, it actually functions as a lap marker input. Triggering this will result in the creation of a .lap file on the CF card, with the approximate location when triggered entered as a lap (first entry) or sector (subsequent entries) marker.

This is only useful if you have a DASH1 or DASH2 connected and want to enter markers for in-car timing, or want to enter markers to identify specific locations one the data is on the PC.

It is not useful for timing laps directly, it does not show up on the monitor or directly in the data file. It will only show up as a marker on the track map view. Connecting to an actual lap beacon will result in the addition of a lap marker and then a sector marker per lap, all on top of each other on the map, with very messy results.

Bottom line is - don't connect a beacon input, or if you do, put it into an analog channel, that way you can see the blips on the analog channel.

Regards,
Last edited by RTUSA on Wed Mar 21, 2007 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Al Seim
Race Technology USA

Patrick911

Postby Patrick911 » Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:35 am

Okay,
thank you for the information, I'll have a try and will report if it worked.

Regards.
Patrick 8)

tickedo

Postby tickedo » Fri Jun 15, 2007 7:50 am

OK, I have a DL1 but havnt installed it as yet. To get lap times, how is this done. If you go around the circuit 5 times it will map the circuit but where do you get the times from.

Thanks
Andrew

RTUSA
Site Admin

Postby RTUSA » Fri Jun 15, 2007 12:55 pm

Assuming that you mean how to get lap times in the Analysis software, you need to load the data then draw the start-finish line over the automatically generated track map, then the lap times are generated.

Sector times too, if you either draw additional markers + define sectors - or simply allow the system to do it for you.

The key is to draw the start/finish, the system has no idea where that is, but you do. Generally, as long as you have it drawn square across the track and in approx the correct place, precise location is not that important.
Al Seim
Race Technology USA

tickedo

Postby tickedo » Sat Jun 16, 2007 12:24 am

thankyou for the fast reply.
All worked out now.

Andrew

Return to “Sensor-related questions”