Fuel level dispaly

striker

Fuel level dispaly

Postby striker » Mon May 17, 2021 8:25 am

I have a VDO dip tube fitted to my 30 litre fuel tank.

Using the 5V ref from the Dash 2 and a 100 ohm resistor I get 0.15V for full and 1.15V for empty. It's pretty much linear in between these values

I enter the data into the table to create an equation for the sensor and upload that to the Dash

The dash then reads 60 for empty and 120 for full.

I've done the same for the single wire sensor option and get the same result.

It's as if the reading is 2x30 (tank capacity) off where it should be for empty and 3x30 off for full. Is it a maths problem?

Any help greatly appreciated

striker

Re: Fuel level dispaly

Postby striker » Mon May 17, 2021 1:03 pm

This morning the reading is stuck on 30 and won't change with the changing float level

The sender unit still gives 0.13V full and 1.15V empty and all voltages in between

I've spent another hour checking what I've already done and sent numerous configurations but with no change.

Tech Support (D)

Postby Tech Support (D) » Tue May 18, 2021 10:10 am

Hello - The 100 ohm resistor is an issue, the DASH2 has a current limit of 50mA on the 5V reference output. The 100 ohm resistor will be causing the dash to run right on the limit, especially if you have other sensors connected to the unit as well.

I recommend you replace the 100 ohm resistor with a 270 ohm resistor. With the new resistor in place, drain the tank and take a voltage reading using either the dash itself to display the reading or with a multi-meter. Add 5L of fuel and take another voltage reading, continue this unit the tank is full, making sure to take a final reading when full. Enter the updated values into the dash software, send the new settings to the display and retest.

If you still have issues, send your values and dash configuration file to daniel AT race - technology DOT com for further assistance.

striker

Postby striker » Tue May 18, 2021 5:11 pm

HI Dan,

Thanks very much for the reply - much appreciated.

Will give it a try :D

Return to “Sensor-related questions”