Oil Pressure sensor calibraion

Hrdbill

Oil Pressure sensor calibraion

Postby Hrdbill » Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:46 pm

Hi all,

Any suggestions for how to obtain the basic voltages/calibration data required to setup an 'unknown' pressure sensor?
I understand with a temperature sensor I'm able to connect power to the sensor, heat the sensor, then manually check the temperature with an external device and measure/record voltage readings for different temperatures.

How would I go about this for Oil pressure?

Kind regards in advance.

Bill

Support

Re: Oil Pressure sensor calibraion

Postby Support » Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:10 am

Hi there,

The easiest way is to find the part number of the sensor, and find out the range it operates in. e.g. 0 - 10 bar. WIth this in mind, the supply voltage to the sensor will be the maximum value. Therefore if using a 5v reference supply 10 bar = 5v

Take a voltage reading from the sensor when no pressure is applied to it to get your zero value.

The more difficult option, is applying a known pressure value to the sensor and taking a voltage reading from it.

Oil Pressure sensors are linear, therefore you only need 2 values to get an accurate reading. However something to bare in mind is that values not captured in the calibrated area may not be as accurate. e.g. if you applied a known pressure of 5.0bar and the sensor is 10bar maximum, it may be possible for values of 5-10 bar to not be as accurate as the other data.

Hopefully this helps,
Kind Regards,
RT Support (SK)

Hrdbill

Re: Oil Pressure sensor calibraion

Postby Hrdbill » Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:27 pm

That's brilliant, thank you Race Technology.

Return to “Sensor-related questions”