DL1 + lambda logging..problem?

hakki

DL1 + lambda logging..problem?

Postby hakki » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:37 am

hello there

we use (to fully satisfaction) a DL1-MK2 datalogger.
we use the logger on a racing motorcycle..

i have some questions about datalogging the air fuel rates..

i did a search on the forum but i cannot find the answer for our problem..
we seem to have a problem with connecting the lambda sensor to the logger or something else is wrong.
we use the standard racetechnology bosch lambda.

i'm relative new to this kind of stuff so please explain to me in simple words:

my questions:
1: we have the Lambda connected to analoque 2. is this allright? possible

2: i did read somewhere that the lamda needs a 0-5v supply..is that correct?

3: is het correct that the analoque's on DL1 are 0-5v but on the DL1 MK2 are 0-12v?

so..in general..
could some one please explain to me how to connect the lambda sensor to the DL1 MK2 logger? which "ports" do we need to use..??

and then...
if the lambda is connected...how do i configurates it in the "variable" manager"? at the moment with a non functional lambda on analoque 2 i cannot select "lambda" in the variable manager...
do i understand correctly that the value must be volts?
if so..i need to fill in a custom formula? could someone give me the correct formula?

a lot of questions...i know..
sorry for that but we need the thing "working" as we have a tracktest coming friday

thanks for every answer that can help us

edit: aditional info:
we just use the logger and do not use the dash..we race a classic endurance bike and are not permitted to use a digi dash

our bike has not an ECU..just "igintion and carbs"

best regards from the Netherlands
stefan

osborni

Postby osborni » Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:40 pm

The A/F sensor needs a whole separate driver/computer for it to work properly.

See R-T's sensor, AEM Inline controller or Innovate LC-1 (if you don't want a gage).

All of those output a ~0-5VDC signal that the DL1 can pick up and monitor for you.
BMW 2000 M Coupe

hakki

Postby hakki » Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:10 pm

osborni wrote:The A/F sensor needs a whole separate driver/computer for it to work properly.

See R-T's sensor, AEM Inline controller or Innovate LC-1 (if you don't want a gage).

All of those output a ~0-5VDC signal that the DL1 can pick up and monitor for you.

thanks for answering

we use the RT A/F sensor..

but, the problem is that we do not know how to get it working, since it doesnt work

again:
- the AF sensor is in the analoque 2 port on the back of the DL1-MK2
is this correct?? (the sensor putt out a 0- 5v signal..but i thinks the analoque ports on the DL1 mk2 are 0-12v??)

then:
how can i select the A/F in the variable manager? in the list there is no A/F so i figure that we need a custom formula? which one?

thanks!

osborni

Postby osborni » Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:28 pm

It doesn't matter which input port you plug it into as long as it's an analog in.

You do need to make sure you loaded in the config file (setup.bin) from the DL1 Config tool to turn on logging for the chosen input channel.

You should be able to turn the RT sensor on and measure a voltage output from it with a volt meter with the car running or even off.

Inside the variable manager you will need to make sure you set up the right equation to convert the voltage to AFR or Lambda. (AFR = 2*volts +10)
BMW 2000 M Coupe

hakki

Postby hakki » Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:16 pm

osborni wrote:It doesn't matter which input port you plug it into as long as it's an analog in.

You do need to make sure you loaded in the config file (setup.bin) from the DL1 Config tool to turn on logging for the chosen input channel.

You should be able to turn the RT sensor on and measure a voltage output from it with a volt meter with the car running or even off.

Inside the variable manager you will need to make sure you set up the right equation to convert the voltage to AFR or Lambda. (AFR = 2*volts +10)

thank you very much!!

the code for converting volts to AFR is that the exact code as you put it:
AFR = 2*volts +10

i should fill that in/ copy that , in the "custom field" in the variable manager >analoque 2

thanks again...you helping us a lot
tommorow i will use the configtool, check everything/ enable port 2 , save it to the card and startup the logger in the new configuration..

(could you also give me some advice on which sample rate to use for AFR?)

osborni

Postby osborni » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:00 am

I think I log at 50 hz. No issues with aliasing.
BMW 2000 M Coupe

hakki

Postby hakki » Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:58 am

osborni wrote:I think I log at 50 hz. No issues with aliasing.

Thanks Osborni

but..still having some problems...

i turned on the logging on analoque port 2 (with the config tool)
checked port 2 and it's having a signal, i used a multimeter and got 5v DC from the port

next step was using the "variable manager" to config / activate ..

since there is no lambda / AFrate option in the variable manager..i needed to fill in the custom field, which i did the following way:

VAR_0201*2+10

(Var_0201 = analoque 2)

then i did load a file from analoque port 2

and i got this as "lambda / AF rate " ????

which is clearly not okay..

what are we doing wrong????

thanks
stefan

:wink:

osborni

Postby osborni » Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:15 pm

hakki wrote:i turned on the logging on analoque port 2 (with the config tool)
checked port 2 and it's having a signal, i used a multimeter and got 5v DC from the port
You checked that you have data from within the Variables manager "Check Available Variables" button?

Not clear on the multimeter... you checked that the AFR sensor is sending a signal to the DL1? At steady state idle, you should be around 14.x AFR or a lambda of 1.0 - which is about ~2.3 VDC. It should be relatively stable and not fluctuate too much. IIRC, idle AFR will float about +/-0.3 lambda or so - at least on my BMW.
hakki wrote:next step was using the "variable manager" to config / activate ..

since there is no lambda / AFrate option in the variable manager..i needed to fill in the custom field, which i did the following way:

VAR_0201*2+10

(Var_0201 = analoque 2)

then i did load a file from analoque port 2

and i got this as "lambda / AF rate " ????

which is clearly not okay..

what are we doing wrong????

thanks
stefan

when I plug in a new sensor I look at the voltage raw and don't put a formula in the variables manager to make sure it's right.

Your formula should be:

x*2+10

not

var_0201*2+10

What you did will basically force Analysis to do the math recursively, which is why your number keeps going up. (I think anyway)

I'd take out the formula 1st and see what happens.
BMW 2000 M Coupe

hakki

Postby hakki » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:28 pm

thanks again...!

got my stuff working now..thanks to you!

best regards from the netherlands
stefan

Return to “Sensor-related questions”