5V out current protected?

shanba

5V out current protected?

Postby shanba » Wed May 14, 2008 6:31 pm

On a DL1, is the 5V out circuit protected internally for excessive current draw? Or should I use an inline fuse prior to all my sensors to protect the DL1?

Thanks.
Scott

faraday

Postby faraday » Thu May 15, 2008 3:01 am

I can't give you an electrical engineer's answer, because I'm mechanical.
Nevertheless, I think I can safely say that the answers are
Yes, and
No.

I have not "blown" very fine sensors (pt100 RTD), or the DL1 with a short between 5V and an AV input, which I have probably inadvertantly arranged.
I don't think I've actually connected the 5V to ground, but as the specs state it's 100 mA max current draw, I'm interpreting that to mean it will not supply more than this but is happy pumping it out all day long.

Support confirmation please :?:

shanba

Postby shanba » Thu May 15, 2008 4:39 am

Thanks for the response. My reason for asking is if something on the car breaks and cuts the sensor wires, now allowing the 5V feed to connect directly to ground, am I going to damage the DL1? I'm using in a race car, stuff happens, just want to protect my investment as much as possible.
Scott

faraday

Postby faraday » Thu May 15, 2008 4:56 am

Understand fully.
That's why I mentioned that I don't think I've "connected" (shorted) to ground myself.

It would be nice to now.

By the way, we've all but written off the "same" car twice, without damaging the DL1.
The best involved multiple barrel rolls...
But... I've had two units fail in a go kart.

Support

Postby Support » Wed May 21, 2008 10:24 am

There is some internal protection on the voltage regulator, in that it will turn itself off if the internal temperature gets too high. In theory this will protect it against short circuits to ground. What it is not protected against is putting volts in on that pin. So if you connect the 5v output to 12v you are likely to blow it up...

Martin

evl

Postby evl » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:42 pm

Support,

Does the same answer apply to the DL1 Mk3? Can't find anything in the specs... Thanks,

-Chris

Support

Postby Support » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:01 pm

The 5v regulator is monitored on the DL1 MK3, so if the unit sees that there is a short circuit it will shut it down. This does take some time and can result in high temperatures inside the unit, it is there as protection against a short circuit causing catastrophic problems.

Martin

Bikey

Postby Bikey » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:45 pm

How many sensors can that output support? I am looking to use it to drive 4 suspension movement sensors.

Thanks.

Support

Postby Support » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:43 am

The number of sensors you can run depends on how much current each sensor requires, but there will be no problem running 4 suspension sensors from one of these outputs.

Martin

Return to “Sensor-related questions”