RT oil temp sensor and DL1/Dash2

RickS

RT oil temp sensor and DL1/Dash2

Postby RickS » Sat Oct 27, 2007 12:58 pm

I installed an RT oil temp sensor and under variable manager used the "standard" drop down for "Oil temp sensor (Bosch 0281002170) in deg Fahrenheit". I do not have any filters enabled. I ran the car for about 6 laps in 75 degree F air temp at the track. The data the I got indicates the max oil temp at 134 deg F. The data is a relatively smooth line over time up to the high 120's low 130's. If I change the sensor setting to C, the data shows 56 deg C, max, which is equlivant to the 134 F.

Question is, this reading seems to low. The car is a 944 turbo, with factory oil cooling. The sensor is mounted just down the oil flow from the turbo, so it should be the hotest temp. I've talked with local porsche race shop. They would have expected temp reading in the 180-200 deg F range, under the conditions that i described. Is there a way to validate the sensor? should i enable the filters, if so, how? I was thinking of putting the sensor in boiling water to validate the reading. Any other thoughts?

Thanks
Rick

Turby

Postby Turby » Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:22 am

Strange, I put one of those sensors in an oil filter adapter plate and get sensible readings.

As you suggest, I would check the calibration of the sensor using boiling water.

RTUSA
Site Admin

Postby RTUSA » Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:32 pm

What is the raw voltage reading in the data? And, can you check the 5V side with a DVM?

Do you have a reading from startup, when the temperature was presumably at ambient?

You are connected to GND, 5V and analog in, correct?

Beyond that, icewater (32F, 0C) and boiling water (212F, 100C) are the classic temperature references.
Al Seim
Race Technology USA

BBWRacing

Postby BBWRacing » Wed Nov 28, 2007 5:42 pm

If you use boiling water, unless you mesure it from a pan while its still boiling it will cool to about 80oC very quickly if poured into a container.

Only if you mesure from a boiling pan it will still only be about 96oC so use a digital thermonitor when you take you readings.

Return to “Sensor-related questions”