Strange Readings from RT Sensors and Dash2

Parkstar

Strange Readings from RT Sensors and Dash2

Postby Parkstar » Mon Oct 02, 2023 9:03 am

Hi everyone,

Looking for some help with my Dash2 and RT sensors, which are giving me some strange and obviously incorrect readings.

My setup is the Dash2 with water temp, oil temp and oil pressure sensors from RT and I've even got the wires and connectors from RT with the built in resistors in an effort to make things easy for myself. All 3 sensors have the red wire connected to the 5V reference, white wires connected to the various analog inputs, and the black wires have a good ground connection. In the software I have selected the standard sensors, and sent the configuration to the dash2. Should be all good right?

However, I'm getting 137 degrees on both temperature sensors and -18 on the pressure sensor, all when the engine is cold so should read ambient temperature (around 18 degrees C) and zero pressure.

What is going wrong?!

Parkstar

Re: Strange Readings from RT Sensors and Dash2

Postby Parkstar » Mon Oct 02, 2023 12:50 pm

Updating my own question as I've spoken to RT directly and their answer may help others in the future.

The values I saw are the default values that are displayed when no signal is received. This is either be due to a wiring issue or a non-functioning 5V output from the dash. A shorted sensor may overload the 5V ref and cause this to shut off.

After checking I have 5V from the reference wire I plugged each sensor in at a time and checked the display, which narrowed it down to the oil temp sensor as the other 2 on their own and together gave correct readings.

In my case I can check whether the short is in the wire or sensor by swapping the oil temp and coolant temp wires/sensors around as they are the same.

Return to “Sensor-related questions”