Reading stock BMW Sensors

Peter Carroll/Toronto

Reading stock BMW Sensors

Postby Peter Carroll/Toronto » Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:01 am

Has anyone had luck interfacing the DL1 to standard BMW sensors? I am interested in Throttle, Brake, Steering. The car is a 1997 E36 M3 with a Euro 3.2L evo motor (the 321hp).

The TPS should be easy. I assume I just tap into the existing sensor rather than adding one.

Is there an easier way to get brake pressure than tapping the hydraulic line? That makes me nervous. I see there is a brake travel sensor on the master cylinder. However, the sensor is a variable resistor with both ends connected to the ABS unit. With a voltmeter I don't seem to get a meaningful reading. It's not a tap on a 0-5V like the TPS.

What's the easiest way to measure steering angle? He car doesn't have a sensor for that (the E46 does but it can not be adapted)

I have the RT sensors but wanted to hear other's experiences before cutting into things.

Peter

m3driver

Postby m3driver » Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:42 am

Peter,

I have a 95 M3 and have used the following. Caveat is I use a Tec3 ECU. Stock TPS is just fine. For a brake signal I just tap into the brake light switch and get a somewhat binary signal. That combined with the decel data from the GPS and accelerometers does just fine for me. I have installed the RT steering angle sensor, but a poor mans substitute can be to use one of the GPS variables, I think it was gps heading change or something like that. It has been a while since I've used the DL1 since I plowed the car into a hillside :-(

I would counsel against tapping into the stock brake pedal travel sensor since I've heard the ABS system is somewhat sensitive to spurious inputs and can cause faults etc.

Marco

Return to “Installation questions”