DL1 Installation in single seater

lsdweb

DL1 Installation in single seater

Postby lsdweb » Mon Jul 09, 2007 6:19 pm

Hi All

This is my first post so please be gentle with me!

I've just bought a DL1 (preowned but I know it's history and I wired it into the previous car)

I'm mounting it into my bike engined single seater (http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/tybrynbedw/swift/Default.htm) and want to make sure I eliminate as much vibration as possible (as there's a load of vibration with the car!). The help section says:
The method of vibration isolation depends on the situation, but, generally, rubber mounts do not offer sufficient isolation, something softer and more compliant is required

Should I mount it on a thick block of foam or will a thin strip be OK?

Regards

Wyn

RTUSA
Site Admin

Postby RTUSA » Tue Jul 10, 2007 2:36 pm

Hard to quantify this, but softish foam (or even regular Velcro) will do a pretty good job on high frequency low amplitude vibration. The lower the frequency and higher the amplitude the thicker the foam will need to be.

The DL1 is pretty light so mounting foam would need to be fairly soft.
Al Seim
Race Technology USA

Gotech

Postby Gotech » Tue Jul 10, 2007 2:50 pm

Won't four VW golf (rabbit) air box mountings do the trick as well? You can then mount a little plate onto the air box mountings and use the velcro to fasten the dl1 to it.

The air box mounting is made from rubber with a m6 bolt on the top and bottom.

Gotech Engine Management Systems
www.gotech.co.za

RTUSA
Site Admin

Postby RTUSA » Tue Jul 10, 2007 3:16 pm

Rabbits (US Golf) are dear to my heart as I have a Mk1 GTI as well as a 70s Scirocco. But I'd imagine that these are too beefy for the light weight of a DL1.

Some race or aircraft supply houses do sell a smaller version of that, with something like an M4 on each end, that might work.
Al Seim
Race Technology USA

lsdweb

Postby lsdweb » Tue Jul 10, 2007 4:14 pm

Thanks Guys

I like the idea of the rubber bobbin option (cotton reel). There are some pretty small ones available in the UK - they used to be used for Metro Turbo oil coolers I believe. I'll have a hunt around. I can see me going for a temporary foam option as I'm competing in just over a week and need to get the DL1 wired in and configured!

Regards

Wyn

Return to “Installation questions”