Remote start/stop button resistor

tristancliffe

Remote start/stop button resistor

Postby tristancliffe » Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:11 pm

A few days ago I was having an email conversation with Dr Martin Hill about issues I was having with my remote start/stop button on the dashboard for my DL1.

It was decided that either the button was at fault, or electrical interference was causing the problem, but I can't be entirely sure which. The cable we used was shielded, but the earth wasn't connected at both ends, so the shielding wasn't doing anything - this will be fixed. And I'll replace the button itself anyway, just in case!

Martin also suggested using a resistor in the wiring, but I can't quite work out where he means - probably either because he's cleverer than me (and knows the technical jargon) or because of slight language differences over the pond. Anyway, this is what he said:

If interference is being picked up on the external trigger line, you could try adding an external resistor to increase the strength of the pull-up on the external start/stop input. Connecting a 1k resistor between the input and the 5v reference should do this.

Am I right in thinking that this will go inline in the wiring and not parallel to the switch (which would surely be enough to short the start/stop terminals).

Clarification hoped for :)

Tristan
Monoposto 2000 - Reynard 883 Toyota

RTUSA
Site Admin

Postby RTUSA » Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:46 pm

Tristan:

I do think that he means directly between the DL1 5V output and the start/stop input, not inline with the switch. The 1k Ohm resistor would not flow enough current to short out the switch.

BTW, I'm surprised that you are having language difficulties between Norwich and Nottingham! :D
Al Seim
Race Technology USA

tristancliffe

Postby tristancliffe » Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:20 pm

Ah, I see.

So it was this reason then:
probably either because he's cleverer than me (and knows the technical jargon)
Monoposto 2000 - Reynard 883 Toyota

Return to “Installation questions”