Dash 2 Pro fuse

Red21

Dash 2 Pro fuse

Postby Red21 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:40 pm

Hello all,
First post and it is about a problem.
Just carrying out first fix installation on my D2 & it keeps blowing the glass fuse during ignition on and/ or shutting down and rebooting then blows the fuse??
I have noted that when I wiggle the wiring going in to connection B it some times shuts the dash down which to me a poor connection on the feed wire or a short within the connector!
I have done a short circuit test on the connection and my wiring with no indication of a problem.
Wiring wise, I have oil pressure, temperature, fuel pressure & coolant temperature wired as per default diagram, tacho on high side as it comes from the ignition coil low tension side ( rev counter still doesn't work but it's most likely a configuration problem which I will sort out)
I have also noted that the battery voltage displayed on the dash is 1.2v lower than at the connection I have used which could suggest a voltage drop some where which if there is one on the car I will find it.
Any ideas????

Support

Re: Dash 2 Pro fuse

Postby Support » Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:54 pm

Hello,

Can you firstly tell us the fuse rating(s) & if there is any other equipment connected to the DASH2PRO please? Thanks

Support(D)

Red21

Postby Red21 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:50 pm

The first two fuses where what is supplied with dash and the other two were taken from the removed SPA gauges and were 500mA.
I have two warning Led's that are taking their 12v feed from the vehicle side of the connection block.
In fact you may have given me an idea as what is happening regarding a possible back feed from one of the warning Leds.
Once I get some more fuses I will check my thought and get back.
Thanks
Rich

Red21

Postby Red21 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:29 pm

Just "borrowed" another fuse and cut the led wire and the dash seems stable, how ever the battery voltage still reads 1.2v low and will not go above 13.5v.
I will continue tomorrow

Support

Postby Support » Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:35 am

Excellent thanks for the information, it seems the correct fuse rating has been used for your installation, this means there shouldn't be any internal damage caused to your DASH2PRO. From your first post it appears the issue is located within the CONN B connector itself or the connected wiring. This does make sense as the main PWR & GND connections for the dash are located on this connector (figure 8 cable). The following link contains the wire colours & functions of both connectors, use this to check your connections in particular the figure 8 cable - https://www.race-technology.com/wiki/in ... stallation.

Support(D)

Red21

Postby Red21 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:56 pm

Well I thought I resolved the blowing fuse issue, but refitting the dash assembly after wiring in the road speed sensor, pop no panel :?
Right, starting again from scratch, I rewired & checked everything to rule out my handy work and gave the dash an accessory feed so it powers up before the ignition/engine run circuit and all was ok with the dash just sitting there, then refitted the dash assembly :cry:
Right,
Disconnected everything and started to reconnect each in turn starting with the "B" connection so the dash could work then wiggled the wires, move the dash as before all OK.
Continued like this for all connections until it came to the oil temp loom to dash connection, no dash??
Dismantled the rubber sure seal again, all ok. Unplugged the sensor and checked for short circuits & initially found nothing but gentle movement of the loom produced a short around the resister area of the loom.
Cutting back the loom heat shrink revealed the smallest of solder spikes from the resister just piercing sensor ground wire so a quick smooth over & another piece of heat shrink protection, wiggled waggled and thoroughly moved things around, Yes.
Fitted the assembly & powered up all ok with the added bonus of the battery voltage display now reading correctly :D
I am hopeful that this has resolved it but will continue to monitor and sharing this may help others with a similar issue.
Rich

Return to “Installation questions”