Alternator warning light wire.

Atommatt

Alternator warning light wire.

Postby Atommatt » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:19 pm

I can't seem to figure this out , So can this Alternator warning light wire on a Dash 2 just be hooked to any 12v source? The Alternator is a GM Chevy cobalt Alternator with mutipal wires coming off of it . I'm just not sure. It says 0 volts to operate ? I'm lost. Lol. If someone can help it would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers.

peterguk

Re: Alternator warning light wire.

Postby peterguk » Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:11 pm

You need to connect the Dash2 alternator warning light wire to the warning light (WL) wire on your alternator.

It is an earth source, not live!

When the alternator is not charging, the WL output wire is earthed inside the alternator. The alternator bulb in the regular dash is live on the other side via the ignition so illuminates when there is no charge.

When the alternator starts charging, the WL output is no longer earthed, extinguishing the dash bulb.

So find which wire on the alternator is the WL wire, and connect it to the Dash2 alternator wire.

Atommatt

Re: Alternator warning light wire.

Postby Atommatt » Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:10 pm

Thanks peter, I did some research over the weekend and discovered that the Alternator has 2 wires instead of a couple . So looking from the backside forward the pin on the left side would be the wire that goes to the warning light or the white wire on the dash. Thanks Peter for your reply. Cheers . :D

Return to “Installation questions”