DL1 Connector coming loose - a possible solution

David Ferguson

DL1 Connector coming loose - a possible solution

Postby David Ferguson » Sat Aug 12, 2006 12:06 am

We have a customer that has reported a problem with the connectors coming loose from the rear of his DL1, when installed in his Formula Ford. We haven't seen this problem before, but I made him this carbon-fiber connector clip to make sure the connectors stayed attached. It actually snaps into the upper grove of the case sides, but I added a wire-tire for extra margin.

I thought folks might like to see it:

David Ferguson
Veracity Racing Data

Dan

Postby Dan » Tue Aug 22, 2006 12:51 am

Nice solution David.

The connectors on the DL1 and DL2 are really not suitable for repeated connecting and disconnecting (aka high insertion rate). The key is not to have the wiring loom performing any tethering or anchoring roles for the DL unit. Keep the wiring load on the connector as light as possible to minimise the strain on the connector.

For the OEM guys doing repeatability and/or durability testing in different vehicles, we usually build an interface box that the DL1/DL2 is permanently connected to with a range of Deutsch style connectors arranged around the outside allowing access to each Av or Dig input.

When I work out how to put a picture on this forum from our web server, it will make more sense.

If you have a mold or buck, have you considered making a batch of these covers for sale to current users?

Cheers, Daniel.
Meridian Motorsport P/L www.mmsport.com.au/

Return to “Installation questions”