Urgent: DL1 not logging

osakhai

Urgent: DL1 not logging

Postby osakhai » Mon Nov 03, 2008 3:47 am

Hi,

Does DL1 need the GPS to detect movement to start the logging? Or can it start recording other non-speed related data for instance voltage of a fuel cell when the car is not moving?

Procedure:
I have reformatted my CF card in the FAT format and configured the setting to automatically start logging by using all default settings. Then, I switched on the DL1 and inserted the CF card as instructed.

Problem:
The STATUS LED started blinking and I inserted my CF card and the LOGGING LED illuminated but went off after a while. Then when I pressed the [red] Start/Stop Logging button, the LOGGING LED did not come on. And as expected no .RUN files were in my CF card.

So is this problem due to the fact that DL1 is not mounted to a moving object? Anybody knows why?

Cheers,
Khai

faraday

Postby faraday » Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:26 am

Perhaps there is something wrong, but fist we need to clear up what might be a language problem.
The default SETUP.BIN doesn't start logging "automatically". Let's just use automatic for when an Auto Start (and perhaps stop) condition is set. Yes, various external parameter values can be used as well as internal speeds, etc.

Motion or GPS lock are not necessary to create a log, but bear in mind that without GPS lock, the folder will not have a sensible name if the default naming convention using the current date has been applied.

So all is good until you push the red button...
Open the SETUP.BIN file that is on the card and check the settings under the update rate tab. The default rate for external channels and the accelerometers is 100Hz, but they might have been disabled. Double click on the rate window to change the setting, if necessary.

Did the format process give the card the RT name :?:

If not, you should manually do this.

I have sometimes had a card that was ultimately good refuse to get started.
:idea: I've been able to trick these into performing by creating a directory on the card with a name like that which the SETUP.BIN configuration would use.

Good Luck
:)

osakhai

Postby osakhai » Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:32 am

Hi Faraday,

yes my situation is that I am not using the GPS lock and as you mentioned: "without GPS lock, the folder will not have a sensible name if the default naming convention using the current date has been applied" so I did the following:
-I changed the Directory name (8 characters): RT__DATA
-I checked that the card is named RT
-I checked the settings under the update rate tab. The default rate for external channels and the accelerometers is 100Hz and they are not been disabled.
But that did not solve the problem.

The CF card is working properly but still no data is logged.

About the last part, mentioned "creating a directory on the card with a name like that which the SETUP.BIN configuration would use", how exactly do you do that? Do you create a new folder in the CF card called SETUP.BIN or jut click "save configuration" and let the software do that thing?

As far as I know, the root directory is H:\ where H = an arbitrary letter for the drive. And I need not change that right?

Please advise, thanks.
Khai

faraday

Postby faraday » Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:33 pm

Saving the configuration will save the file as SETUP.BIN. I have no idea what happens if you change this filename, but this is not what I'm suggesting.

I take it that you have tried to write a log file (by button pressing) with what you have below as the configuration on the SETUP.BIN file but had no luck.

Leave that as is, and create a new folder on the card in Windows Explorer named RT__DATA. This is the trick that sometimes works.

Better luck this time :!:

osakhai

Postby osakhai » Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:30 am

Hi Faraday,

I'm tried the method which you suggested to create a new folder on the card named RT__DATA but DL1 does not log any data.

Then I changed to another CF card and did all the necessary but still DL1 refuses to log any data.

Any more ways to troubleshoot? I was wondering if the processor in my DL1 is faulty because after I insert the CF card, the Status light stops flashing on & off like it normally does to indicate that processor is working normally. Instead the Status light just stays illuminated without blinking.

Then I tried to insert the CF card before I on the DL1 and this time the status light doesn't come on at all. Only the Power on light is illuminated.

Please advise. Cheers.
Khai

faraday

Postby faraday » Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:59 am

Sorry Khai, but together we are trying.
:shock: It might be time for you to contact R-T in Nottingham directly.

It is normal for the status light to go solid when a card is inserted - it is looking for instructions and other files...
It is more indicative of a card that has problems if it does not go solid for a while. When things are eventually working fine ( :) ), you can remove the SETUP.BIN file from the card to speed up the initialisation process.

Power up with a card already inserted should not be a problem. The status light should still blink fairly soon.
It is quite possible that a reflash will fix things. This also puts the default configuration into the DL1, so if you want to have auto start/stop, a different directory name, etc, you have send it another config with your own SETUP.BIN.
In any case, you should seek the appropriate reflash firmware file from R-T directly. The help files and reflash utility have appropriate advice, but there are too many different firmwares (HEX files) about to risk not going direct to Nottingham.
If the US is more convenient, Al Seim at RTUSA can also assist.

GMS Racing

Postby GMS Racing » Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:25 pm

I have had so many problems with the auto start and stop logging function on the DL1 that my driver now manually starts and stops it himself. I have firmware revision 13 so it's the latest level.

Create a new SETUP.BIN that disables auto start/stop. Put onto formatted CF card, and insert into the DL1 while it is SWITCHED ON. After about 10 seconds remove the power and take out the card. Remove the SETUP.BIN file from the CF card, insert back into DL1, switch on the DL1 and try starting and stopping it manually. As Faraday said, if you want a dated and timed file then you will need GPS lock. :roll:
Regards,

Gary...
Johannesburg
South Africa

SteveB

Postby SteveB » Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:01 pm

Khai,

I've just bought a DL1 and am experiencing exactly the same problem that you describe.

Did you manage to resolve yours?

Regards
Steve

GMS Racing

Postby GMS Racing » Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:07 pm

SteveB,

Can you manually start and stop logging?
Regards,

Gary...
Johannesburg
South Africa

Return to “Installation questions”