Remote start/stop button

CharlesElliott

Remote start/stop button

Postby CharlesElliott » Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:47 pm

Has anyone found a good option/source for an illuminated remote start/stop button? In addition to the one RT sell of course! :D

tristancliffe

Postby tristancliffe » Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:51 pm

We used these http://uk.rs-online.com/web/2650736.html which I think might be the same item RT sell (no idea how the price compares though).
Monoposto 2000 - Reynard 883 Toyota

faraday

Postby faraday » Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:52 pm

I umm'd and ahh'd about these things as an engineer, rather than driver. Often it is only the driver that is with the car at the start of the interesting part of a run. I wanted to make it possible for the driver to be in control.
Let's be generous and positive and assume that both engineer and driver are desperate that no data is lost.
This imperative has never been upset in hundreds of runs in my experience, by handing the "start logging" command over to "Auto Start" in the Configuration Tool. I use the speed trigger ( >100 or >150 representing 10 or 15 km/h). As the engineer/installer, I too was originally keen to show of my handywork by taking advantage of the remote option, but the owner/driver was pleased that I saved the effort, weight and complexity.

As both driver and engineer, why not reduce your workload and stimulus (another red light in your vision) and do the same?
The only cost is sometimes having extra run files or longer files when the log is started by erroneous speed when the car is still stationary under cover, denying the system GPS lock.

:wink:

CharlesElliott

Postby CharlesElliott » Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:54 pm

Does Auto Start not reduce your ability to perform accelerometer offset compensation?

tristancliffe

Postby tristancliffe » Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:12 pm

If it's triggered from speed, then yes it would. The solution would be to manually start a log file in the paddock (with a GPS signal, so not indoors) whilst at a standstill, and generate the zeroing from that.
Monoposto 2000 - Reynard 883 Toyota

faraday

Postby faraday » Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:27 pm

Simplistically yes Charles, if you are using "Auto-zero", but remember it is not you performing this compensation with knowledge of when the car was plumb. It is a convenient automatic feature relying on too many assumptions to be accurate. Its purpose is to add some utility to a poorly installed logger, not increase the accuracy for those seeking the optimum.

You have a modern racing car with low ground clearance and substantial aero potential, hence stiff, low travel suspension and ride heights you'll try to set to the millimetre rather than the centimetre that a bashed up road car based competion vehicle might struggle with. Subsequently, your setup and sensor calibration needs to be performed on a qualified flat and level surface.
With some effort, you will be able to organise this in your workshop, but the logistics of transferring this to the circuit...
On the upside, you have a rigid chassis and suspension members that will not disguise the fact that they are bent should they suffer accidental over-loading.

Your racing performance will be far more prejudiced by a change of springs or ride height that upsets the corner-weights than by data degradation from a slightly skew accelerometer. If you don't have your own scales, rather than taking the car to an "expert", which often implies a one-off fiddle around a probably arbitrary setup, hire some for a weekend (not a race weekend!) or week. Fit all your springs and adjust the ride heights to possible or likely combinations, ensuring that you can achieve the desired weight balance for all setups. There may not be sufficient adjustability in the links and coil-overs to achieve this. It's best to discover it in the workshop rather than between sessions at the track.
The important thing is that in a relaxed and systematic way you record the settings and label the springs such the setups are repeatable without the scales. Appologies for straying from the topic... and hope I'm not preaching to the converted.

The only situation in which you can be assurred that the logger is level is when it's stationary. Rather than trying to have such a condition at the start of every log or having the equipment and taking the trouble to make sure that the logger is in fact level and using "Auto-zero", record a stationary run on what you have half a chance of measuring as level ground and use the software option to "Calculate the Offset Angles..." and apply this offset to the appropriate runs.

Returning to Auto Start options, there is no data lost if a sensible pre-trigger time is set. For peace of mind, if you wish to take advantage of these features, install the logger in a road car and experiment with different conditions and values before things get hectic at the race track.

With all this waffle, I fear I've lost my place in the tread...
:)

faraday

Postby faraday » Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:31 pm

err... thread :oops:

Return to “Installation questions”