Dash2 Installation, serial problem?

adamnreeves

Dash2 Installation, serial problem?

Postby adamnreeves » Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:05 pm

Installed my Dash2 supplied by Westfield/Potenza.

Problem is the dash2 shows the binary symbol all the time, i.e. it thinks it's receiving data all the time. This stops user input via the buttons and even stops the fog lamp warning from working! If I connect dash2 to my PC but do not run the software then it clears the symbol and everything seems to work fine. I have check the ground and seems fine however I did notice that the RX line from the dash is floating, the voltage seems to be under 16mV however.

adamnreeves

Postby adamnreeves » Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:43 pm

Spoke to Westfield and it sounds like this is faulty unit and it needs to be sent off :(

adamnreeves

Postby adamnreeves » Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:47 pm

Had an answer from Potenza/Westfield and thought I'd keep you guys in the loop. Apparently the Dash2 I have is a revised design :D and this needs a serial port dongle. Just a pity I had to send my unit off to find this out :(

adamnreeves

Postby adamnreeves » Thu Mar 13, 2008 4:56 pm

Receive my Dash2 back now with said dongle. Well its not really a dongle its a D-type connector. I removed the connector cover and not very surprised to find that Pin2 and Pin 5 have a link wire soldered in. Pin2 being RX and Pin5 being ground. I had actually thought of doing this but not knowing the specification of the serial comms chip decided not to mess!

RTUSA
Site Admin

Postby RTUSA » Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:47 pm

For general info, it seems that there was a batch of DASH2s that are unhappy in standalone mode (ie no serial port connection) and thus need a dongle/terminator when used w/o a datalogger.

As most DASH2s to date are used with our dataloggers, this will not affect most customers. But if you are experiencing lockups with the DASH2 and you are using without a serial connection to anything, then please contact Race Technology or your dealer for this fix.

Cheers,
Al Seim
Race Technology USA

Return to “Installation questions”