Brake Warning Light - 0V to Activate?

Parkstar

Brake Warning Light - 0V to Activate?

Postby Parkstar » Sat Nov 26, 2022 10:21 pm

Potentially a stupid question, but can anyone help me understand how to wire the brake level warning light on the dash2 please?

The manual says this is activated when pin 11 on connector 1 has 0V. However the circuit on my car is closed when the fluid level is low/empty which will result in 5V, not 0V.

Am I missing something?

racetec
Site Admin

Re: Brake Warning Light - 0V to Activate?

Postby racetec » Mon Nov 28, 2022 9:52 am

Connect one side of the fluid level switch to the DASH2 wire mentioned. Connect the other side of the fluid level switch to ground. When the fluid level is low the switch is closed and the DASH2 input is grounded to 0V. Hey presto.

Greg Amy

Postby Greg Amy » Mon Nov 28, 2022 6:50 pm

Clever! But I don't think that'll work, as there won't be any voltage potential with an open circuit either. Or is actually looking to GROUND that wire to engage the light? Then the above makes sense.

"0V" is a voltage potential which is not the same as "grounded to chassis". In the former situation you'd have to ensure that the wire has a solid, common ground to the DASH2's ground; any potential difference, no matter how small, would not be "0V". - GA
Greg Amy
FastTech Limited, http://www.fasttechlimited.com/
Data Acquisition, Driver Consultation

Parkstar

Postby Parkstar » Mon Nov 28, 2022 7:59 pm

Connect one side of the fluid level switch to the DASH2 wire mentioned. Connect the other side of the fluid level switch to ground. When the fluid level is low the switch is closed and the DASH2 input is grounded to 0V. Hey presto.
Thanks, makes sense and I'll give it a go

Return to “Installation questions”