Date Time stamp on files incorrect

svtdoug

Date Time stamp on files incorrect

Postby svtdoug » Tue Jul 25, 2023 7:42 pm

I have been using an older DL1 for many years. Worked fine last year, but this driving season the date/time stamp on files is off by 20 years or so. On July 21, 2023 the DL1 recorded a date of Dec, 5th, 2003. All the run info also has the wrong date time. I assume the date time comes from GPS data. I had a good GPS lock and the data recorded looks accurate as far as times, and gps points outlining the line around the track.

Any idea what is causing the date/time stamp to be off?

Thanks much,
Doug
'18 Shelby GT350 - Leadfoot Gray

RTUSA
Site Admin

Re: Date Time stamp on files incorrect

Postby RTUSA » Thu Jul 27, 2023 8:25 pm

What version of DL1 do you have?
Al Seim
Race Technology USA

Rattie

Postby Rattie » Tue Aug 01, 2023 11:34 am

I have the exact same problem with a DL1 from 2010. Logger Serial number is 11192. It's a CF based DL1 running into a VIDEO4. The last two sessions have been logged as dates shifted by just under 20 years. Yesterday's session (31 July 2023) was date stamped as 15 Dec 2003, i.e. the same offset as Doug.

I hope we can get to the bottom of this as the rest of the system is working just fine.

RTUSA
Site Admin

Postby RTUSA » Tue Aug 01, 2023 3:03 pm

The issue comes from how the GPS module in some DL1s/DL2s handles the timestamp information. It depends on which of several similar GPS modules were used in a particular logger.

A firmware update to fix this issue in DL1Mk3/DL1CLUB/PRO/WP and late model DL2 (all of which use SD cards) is now part of the V10 software download available on the RT website.

https://www.race-technology.com/us/raci ... e/download

A firmware update for the DL1SPORT is available by emailing sales@race-technology.com.

No update is or will be available for the early CF based DL1 or DL2. Note that these systems remain usable with the available V8.5 software, albeit with the incorrect dates.
Al Seim
Race Technology USA

svtdoug

Postby svtdoug » Sun Aug 06, 2023 8:39 pm

Thanks Rattie. Yes, my DL1 is the same early model with CF card. That is a bummer. Why would it work fine last year, but this year bonks on the date/time stamp? Everything is affected, folder name, date/time stamp on files, and internal data on run is off. I can rename folder, I can change date/time stamp on files (a pain) but have no idea how to correct data date/time stamp. There must be a way to fix this.

Doug
'18 Shelby GT350 - Leadfoot Gray

Greg Amy

Postby Greg Amy » Mon Aug 28, 2023 6:36 pm

Al, you think this could be a dead battery issue?

You told me that the DL1 (mine's a Mk2) uses the onboard battery to remember GPS position; I'm wondering if it would work if these racers would fire up the DL1 and let is sit for some time (3-5 minutes) to ensure they have GPS lock before starting logging...

Sadly, the onboard DL1 battery is not easily user-serviceable; it's soldered onto the board. - GA
Greg Amy
FastTech Limited, http://www.fasttechlimited.com/
Data Acquisition, Driver Consultation

Rattie

Postby Rattie » Thu Aug 31, 2023 3:03 pm

That's an interesting idea Greg. I may have a look inside and see what condition the battery is in.

I leave the rig powered up over several sessions, and only kicks off logging once I a few mph, so your suggestion of a workaround unfortunately doesn't work.

My suspicion is that some effective epoch has expired and the timestamp data is wrapping, hence the fixed offset that both of us are seeing.

If the battery is past it, I may have a go at replacement, since I do have a desoldering station and the necessary skills.

Thanks
Martyn

Greg Amy

Postby Greg Amy » Tue Sep 05, 2023 8:52 pm

My suspicion is that some effective epoch has expired and the timestamp data is wrapping, hence the fixed offset that both of us are seeing.
I think may be on to something. I used my Mk2 all this past weekend at the Lime Rock Historics and I got dates of 040116 on Friday (01Sept23) through 010119 on Monday (04Sept23).

The number of days between 01/16/2004 and 09/01/2023 is 7168, which is (2^10)*7...exactly 1024 weeks. Yours was July 21, 2023 versus Dec, 5th, 2003...7168 days.

That can't be a coincidence. If your hypothesis is correct, this would be most unfortunate. Certainly most annoying.

Another symptom is that my GPS light is flashing continuously. But interestingly, I'm getting GPS speeds and track maps, and logging auto-start at my desired speed. So the GPS is working and the data is logging...but with incorrect dates and a flashing GPS light.

Note that all of this is with a verified new and charged GPS battery I installed last week (thanks Al!)

Do we have any way to get confirmation on this? This seems to be quite easy for R-T to resolve, if they desired to. My DL1s have served me well over the last decades and I'd hate to give them up. R-T is no longer offering a DASH-logger (I really do like my DASH2PRO in my other race car) so their options are slimming down...

Greg
Greg Amy

Greg Amy

Postby Greg Amy » Tue Sep 05, 2023 10:52 pm

Martyn, you ticked it: someone just told me "GPS includes a 10 bit counter for week number that only gets you 1024 weeks".

So it would take a firmware update to overcome this.

R-T Support, any chance of this happening?

Greg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GPS_week_number_rollover
Greg Amy

Greg Amy

Postby Greg Amy » Mon Oct 09, 2023 1:58 pm

Just to wrap this up...it's been implied to me that there's "zero chance" that R-T will offer a firmware upgrade to our DL-1s...so we'll just have to deal with the dates being off 1024 weeks if we continue using them.

Opinion: while I "get" the whole "legacy products" concept - after all, these are 20 years old! - the Race Technology DL-1 was, from my perspective, one of the first and best entries into the amateur-level motorsports data aquisition market space. The product worked great and the analysis interface was top notch. Through this, R-T effectively created a new market and supported and nurtured a loyal following that resulted in many subsequent purchases of R-T products (I've lost count on how many I've owned).

Not offering a firmware upgrade for the DL-1 results in competitors having to decide between accepting this date problem or choosing to purchase an alternative.

Someone that chooses to accept the date problem is not in the market for a new product.

And if the competitor chooses to purchase a replacement...well, there's a lot of competition today for these devices. Abandoning the DL1s opens the choice to a world of other manufacturers and products that have entered the markspace within the last 1024+ weeks.

The future of R-T's interest in motorsports, certainly at the amateur level, has been fuzzy to me for quite some time. I suspect my own team will probably choose an alternative, and that makes me really sad. - Greg

Return to “General support questions”