Shift light setup

shasselg

Shift light setup

Postby shasselg » Thu May 21, 2009 5:16 am

Just to check if someone with experience can advice. I have a Dash 3 but it is probably not different to Dash 2....If I have a rev stop at 7000 RPM, how would I typically configure the shiftlights on the unit? Should I for example take off 200 RPM per light or should I take off 100 for the last light, 200 for the next, 300 etc. Any experience/advice?

tristancliffe

Postby tristancliffe » Thu May 21, 2009 9:07 am

The figure will vary depending on how quickly your car revs and how many revs you drop in the shifts.

I use 150rpm in our F3 car between each shift light (although I am thinking of changing this to 100).

Having a varying gap probably wouldn't matter once you get used to it, but it'd be harder to judge from the rate the lights come on when to shift - you must not react to the last light, but predict when it'll come on so you shift as the last light lights up (if you've set the light to the right value by looking at torque curves and gearing).

So choose a value (e.g. 100) and use that for all of them. Tweak later if you think you can improve it.
Monoposto 2000 - Reynard 883 Toyota

shasselg

Postby shasselg » Fri May 22, 2009 7:43 pm

tristancliffe wrote:The figure will vary depending on how quickly your car revs and how many revs you drop in the shifts.

I use 150rpm in our F3 car between each shift light (although I am thinking of changing this to 100).

Having a varying gap probably wouldn't matter once you get used to it, but it'd be harder to judge from the rate the lights come on when to shift - you must not react to the last light, but predict when it'll come on so you shift as the last light lights up (if you've set the light to the right value by looking at torque curves and gearing).

So choose a value (e.g. 100) and use that for all of them. Tweak later if you think you can improve it.

Thanks, I will give it a try, I have 500 rpm between gear 3,4,5 and 6. Torque should not be a problem - I have basically the same torque from 5-7000 rpm.

Return to “General support questions”