Logging ECU data (ECU adapters)

Support

Logging ECU data (ECU adapters)

Postby Support » Sun Apr 06, 2008 5:44 pm

Hi Everyone,

As you maybe aware we are currently introducing a range of serial and CAN ECU adapters to our product range. These convert the data that is typically available from ECUs into the RT data format so it can be logged on the DL1 etc, or displayed on the DASH2 etc...

At the moment we have adapter for about 10 ECUs but we would like to expand this if at all possible.... the problem is that we need your help!!

Basically we need 2 things:

1/ The specification of the data stream, normally we can get this from the ECU manufacturer

2/ A sample set of data logged from the ECU so we can test toe completed adapter

If you are interested in helping us with this program then please drop a note to andrew at race-technology dot com.

Kind regards to all!

Andy

Slides

Postby Slides » Sat Jun 14, 2008 11:02 am

sent you an email.

stevieturbo

Postby stevieturbo » Sat Jul 05, 2008 4:19 pm

Hi Andy...

If you havent used a DTA S80Pro, I'd like to help....

Although in simple terms....what is it you need ??

Ive sent an email to Lorne with some queries, and included some DTA supplied info re-CAN.

So in terms of ecu logged data.....what is it you need ? Just a regular datalog file ?

fast_grandad

Postby fast_grandad » Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:45 pm

I can't see the MBE 9A4 ECU on your list. Have I missed it or do you have plans to introduce it? Can it be interfaced via the CAN/USB adapter supplied by SBD in some way?
Caterham 7, 2 litre Vx

Moridin

Postby Moridin » Thu Sep 16, 2010 3:07 am

I'd very much like to get the DL1 working with AEM's new series 2 ECU's in conjunction with a DASH 2 on the FSAE car at our school. Would R.T. be interested in doing this? We would help wherever possible. I had the Series 2 ECU up and running, but could not get it to communicate with the DL1. Your help would be very much appreciated.

felix

Postby felix » Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:34 pm

fast_grandad wrote:I can't see the MBE 9A4 ECU on your list. Have I missed it or do you have plans to introduce it? Can it be interfaced via the CAN/USB adapter supplied by SBD in some way?

Did you ever get any joy with this? Looking to do much the same in the future.

Support

Postby Support » Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:07 pm

Hi,

Yes - we have an adapter for the MBE 9A4, this is very well tested as it is the standard ECU in the factory Ginetta cars and we supply them with all the data logging equipment. The MBE 9A4 has CAN and serial output, our adapter uses the CAN output. If you would like to order one then please email sales@race-technology.com .

Kind Regards,

Andy

AMESmotorsports

Re: Logging ECU data (ECU adapters)

Postby AMESmotorsports » Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:02 pm

I have an accel thruster dfi/efi ecu would love to get the interface cable for that to work with my dash2 and dl1 logger

racetec
Site Admin

Postby racetec » Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:10 am

Hi

We can provide an interface for some EFI ECUs. A full list of ECU makes and models that we can supply the interface for can be found here:
https://www.race-technology.com/gb/raci ... interfaces

Support (AH)

ECOELEC

Postby ECOELEC » Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:56 pm

Hi,

Just a question about CAN but ... without ECU adapter.
If I'm right, an ECU adapter translate CAN messages into RT serial format, but, on my DL1 ML3, I've already a direct can input port.
Should I use it directly to the OBD2 pin 6 (CAN J2234 high) and 14 (CAN J2234 Low) of a usual stock car?
With direct CAN input, what should be the added value of an ECU adapter?

I already read CAN messages directly with de DL1 in a special configuration (a Fuell cell) for which I had a complete can message description, but, in my actual problem, I can't find any real can message description (CAN address, data format, scaling, ...) for a stock Mercedes Benz (w205).
I only found the CAN_RT.dbc file but don't know for which car it should be used. Is it universal? If no does it exist other .dbc to use (RT source or others)? I've searched without success.

Best regards.

racetec
Site Admin

Postby racetec » Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:23 am

The only instance in which the CAN adapter would add anything in your setup was if you wanted to get the data off the OBDII bus through the vehicle CAN bus. This can't be done from the DL1 directly.
As you mention, the big problem you will have with connecting directly to the vehicle CAN bus is not knowing the format of the standard messages. You might also find that there is a CAN gateway built in to the car which blocks a lot of the messages from coming through on that port. The standard CAN dbc file you mention is for the CAN output from our devices, not a setup file for the CAN input. There are no universal files for this as every manufacturer uses different things.
So yes you can use the CAN input built in to your DL1, but you will need to find out what the format and scaling of the standard Mercedes messages are, and you will either need to connect directly in to the main CAN bus, or if there is no gateway on the OBDII port you will be able to get the data through there.

Martin

ECOELEC

Postby ECOELEC » Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:13 pm

Hello Martin,
Thank you for your response.
My idea is not to receive all ECU data from the OBD2 can port but only some common ones (RPM, speed, fuel consumption, oil temperature, ...).
I've tried an 10$ OBD2-BlueTooth adaptor and "Torque" android app and it works.
This app can extract many data from the OBD2 without specifying the brand and model of the car connected, so , I deduce that common Can PID are universal and It's why I asked it to the forum.
JM

racetec
Site Admin

Postby racetec » Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:25 am

Yes the PIDs are common across cars for the OBDII interface. They are not transmitted continuously by the vehicle though, they are only sent in response to a request. As such, you will need something which will send the request to the vehicle and then decode the answer when it comes back. The typical process is...…

Establish which of the four CAN modes the vehicle is operating in, two different baud rates and two different data rates
Send a PID 00 request to the vehicle to get a list of supported PIDs
Request the PIDs as required
Process the reply

You can get in to some issues on certain vehicles as they can have more than one ECU. I had a Touareg with a V10 engine which was run by two ECUs as a fair of 5 cylinder engines. So each time you sent a PID request you would get two answers and have to deal correctly with them.

Martin

Return to “General support questions”