GoPro Labs FYI

Stan

GoPro Labs FYI

Postby Stan » Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:31 pm

GoPro has a geek section called GoPro Labs.

You can get custom firmware (free) and add features to the 7-8-9 Black & Max to help with Race / Test captures

https://community.gopro.com/t5/GoPro-La ... /GoProLabs

For example...you can have the cameras turn on above some MPH or G-Force or if voltage is sensed at the power cable.

Worth a look if you like to tweak.

lotus7

Re: GoPro Labs FYI

Postby lotus7 » Sun Jan 09, 2022 6:01 pm

Back to this...
I upgraded my GoPro firmware last night to enable 12Gb files instead of 4Gb

I never liked the limited file size for each heat of racing = you end up downloading 3 or 4 files onto you laptop then joining them before anaylising - makes managing files in your computer a PIA

lotus7

Postby lotus7 » Sun Jan 09, 2022 6:02 pm

Back to this...
I upgraded my GoPro firmware last night to enable 12Gb files instead of 4Gb

I never liked the limited file size for each heat of racing = you end up downloading 3 or 4 files onto you laptop then joining them before anaylising - makes managing files in your computer a PIA

Stan

Postby Stan » Wed Jan 12, 2022 5:54 pm

Yes Labs has many useful features for "our stuff"

Here's a nice Protip if you use the LRV files at times or trackside etc.

Recent GoPros such as the 9 & 10 have afterthought quality LRV files. Super compressed looking. Asphalt and curbing with no detail at times depending on the other parts of the image and their impact on GoPro's compression and resizing algorithm.

Try bXXX with XXX being your chosen bit rate for the main MP4 file. Anything from say 1 to 130-160 works and those cameras max out at 100 stock.
The high rates need a quality card, ideally recently formatted on your laptop the slow way.

The Cool Thing is that you get massively higher LRV file quality. More or less uncompressed! Yet still agile as can be in the (i think) 32 bit non HEVC oriented Analysis software.

Easily 2-3 times better LRV quality. You can make this or other settings permanent if desired. Normal behavior is for that power cycle only. Bit rate is very important, it is not just about resolution.

HTH.

lotus7

Postby lotus7 » Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:33 pm

I have a 7 Black , it suits my needs very well .
Our last 2021 race , I due to car emergencies , did not download and then delete the files on the GoPro . I also did not recharge or even put my spare , charged battery in . So sadly I only got 11 of the 15 laps

Edit: I use GoPro Standalone side x side with Analysis 8.5 - I still run my old trusty DL1 Mk2 with my much newer Dash2 - I "mix" inputs
between the two . Physical inputs such as RPM, TP, oil and water temps, oil press , Afr is not available on Gopro
And sadly DL1 M2 is not compatible with Analysis 10 which can import GoPro files

I do have a Ion HD "tube " camera facing backwards- but obviously no linking with GoPro videos - Very useful though

Return to “GoPro standalone software”