GoPro SLOWED GPS to 10 Hz

Stan

GoPro SLOWED GPS to 10 Hz

Postby Stan » Fri Sep 02, 2022 3:02 pm

...in the Hero 10 firmware 1.46. You can still get the 18 Hz in FW 1.42 or prior. I have not checked but earlier GoPros that have rec'd Summer 2022 revisions could also be affected. Perhaps they did this for battery life, not sure. Might affect the Hero 11 due for announcement in weeks.

In general it is a good idea to retain copies of each succeeding GoPro FW for both the main and Labs versions.

The Labs guy Dan at GoPro hopes to add a GPS toggle in the Labs firmware. Labs works great with R-T software as we can have the camera speed toggle, set data rates and much more. Just use the 142 based FW for the Hero 10 for now should you desire the legacy high speed GPS mode.

I do note that my Racebox Mini 25hz GPS puck has over 20 hours battery life out of a 1100 mah battery running the GPS and BT. So I don't think GoPro having slowed the GPS will gain massive battery life from this change.

HTH.

Stan

Re: GoPro SLOWED GPS to 10 Hz

Postby Stan » Thu Sep 15, 2022 2:23 pm

It's confirmed that the just-released GoPro Hero 11 has 10hz GPS. Later this year there is a chance the Labs beta firmware will allow higher speeds.

Supposedly, the GoPro Hero 11 MINI has NO GPS. We'll find out in a month I guess.

HTH.

Return to “GoPro standalone software”