Using Map Files
On this section:
- Using map files in VIDEO4 System
- Using map files in Analysis Video Export
Using map files in VIDEO4 System
VIDEO4 system can add a graphics overlay to its video recording. The video overlay can be almost any combination of objects including bitmaps, dials, bar-graphs, text and numerical values. Overlay files have the .VGL extension and they are designed by using the VIDEO Overlay Configuration Tool.
Note: Number of example layouts are also installed with the software. So it is not necessary to design your own unless you have an application that requires it. Example layouts are in Program Files\RaceTechnologyV7\VIDEO4 Configuration Tool\Example Layouts folder.
To show the track map in graphics overlays, “Track Map” object is used. Track map object uses GPS data to draw the track map in real time. If a VGL file contains a track map object with “internet maps enabled”, then you can overlay a satellite image or street map behind the track map by simply specifying a map file to be used.
To overlay a map image behind the track map, follow the steps below.
1. Generate a map file using the Map File Generator
2. Save the map file to the root of a formatted CF card that you use to insert into the VIDEO4 system.
3. Open the “VIDEO4 Configuration tool” and load one of the example layouts; alternatively you can design a one of your own.
4. Add a “Track Map control” to the graphics overlay if it does not contain a one.
5. Open the properties window of the track map control. (Right click on the control and click on “properties”)
6. Select the “Internet Map Overlay” option. Then configure other map related variables. For an example User can set the type (Satellite or Road) and quality of the image (High, medium, low). Click OK to save the changes.
7. When you finished editing the VGL file, remember to save it by giving a descriptive name.
8. To use the VGL file with the VIDEO4, it must be renamed to DEFAULT.VGL. Then copy it to the CF card.
9. Insert the CF card to VIDEO4 unit and power it up.
10. All the LED indicators on the front panel will light up; at this moment VIDEO4 starts to copy files.
11. After few seconds the Power LED will light up. (And the rest turn off or flash)
12. If the copy is successful, DEFAULT.VGL will be moved to a folder named DONE.
13. Now VIDEO4 is ready to proceed with the new Overlay file.
Once the VIDEO4 receives a GPS Lock, it will match with the origin of all existing MAP files on the Removable CF card until it finds a file. If a matching file is found, it will immediately open it and use it to overlay map images behind the Track Map control.
Using map files in Analysis Video Export
By using the Video Export Wizard in Analysis software, you can export the videos generated using the VIDEO4 system to MP4 file format and optionally upload to the YouTube.
Video Export also allows you to add a graphics overlay to the exported video. Video Graphics overlays are generated using the VIDEO4 Configuration Tool and generated files has the .VGL extension. If an overlay contains a track map object with “internet maps enabled”, then you can overlay a satellite image or street map behind the track map by simply specifying a map file to be used. Specifying the Overlay file and map file is done in the step 1 of the video export wizard. (See below).
More information on generating map files is available here.