RPM on a coil and distributor setup

ukb327v

RPM on a coil and distributor setup

Postby ukb327v » Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:57 pm

Hi again,

Another question that i couldn't quite find the answer to in the knowledge base and due to the "incorrect connection could damage your DL1" i thought i better ask to confirm.

the vehicle i'm installing the DL1 onto runs a simple distributor setup which currently has the normal tacho output on the negative side which goes to a standard style tacho.

Where would i connect the DL1 into my system?

The knowledge base says I should connect this in but doesnt really say where - Hi (rH) or low (rL) level connection on the DL1?
Is it simply a direct wire or do I need some sort of pickup box?
Do I need to connect a ground wire in anywhere?

I'm a bit lost on this, the knowledge base contains so much information its easy to get overwhelmed![/code]

Rob Stevens

Postby Rob Stevens » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:27 pm

Just connect the low connection to the wire that goes to the points or the non 12v side of the coil, then you will have to set the analysis up to read the rpm right depending on how many cylinders you have

ukb327v

Postby ukb327v » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:36 pm

cheers for the very quick response!

that simple eh! thanks!

Promod

Postby Promod » Sat May 05, 2012 7:55 pm

Rob Stevens wrote:Just connect the low connection to the wire that goes to the points or the non 12v side of the coil, then you will have to set the analysis up to read the rpm right depending on how many cylinders you have
:shock:
I have installed a DL1 mk2+ Dash 2. Wired and connected as described in this post. Dash 2 doesnt show any sign of a rpm signal on the display....And yes, i have told the Dash 2 to get the rpm signal for rs232(DL-1). Where do i go wrong?? Do i need to connect a gnd wire somewhere?

Adamw

Postby Adamw » Sat May 05, 2012 10:11 pm

Rob Stevens put you wrong above. If you are connecting direct to a coil you must use the "high" or "spark" input. Your DL1 is possibly damaged now, but I would try using the high input and if it doesnt work you will have to talk to the Race Tech guys.

http://www.race-technology.com/wiki/ind ... RPMSensors
http://www.race-technology.com/wiki/ind ... sionPickup

Promod

Postby Promod » Sun May 06, 2012 10:03 pm

Thanks for response! I have redone the connections now, still no rpm on display. Seems like the DL1 is still working though, it logs as it should, writes it to CF-card and i can watch data in analyzer. Tries to do some reconfig on the DL1 to get my rpms, but the changes is not beeing loaded up when i insert the card.. Any tips? Formated in FAT, filename is SETUP, and filetype is SETUP.BIN. Anyone out there with a good tip? :?

Support

Support

Postby Support » Wed May 09, 2012 10:00 am

Hi,

Are you getting any data on the DASH from the DL1? Is it possible the DASH is locked to another DL1? If you hold down the down button when switching on it will show the firmware version and the serial number of the DL1 it is locked to if it is locked to a DL1.

Are you able to configure the DASH from the DL1?

BR,
RT

Return to “Installation questions”