iPad app :)

osborni

iPad app :)

Postby osborni » Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:27 pm

I would be cool to be able to at least look at basic strip charts and track maps on an iPad. I realize that the data would likely need to go through the full analysis package first and get uploaded somehow, but it would be cool to have something to study when in a meeting or waiting on a flight or something.
BMW 2000 M Coupe

Support

Postby Support » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:06 pm

Hi,

A free of us have the iPhone and we would also like to do something on them as they are super cool... but at the moment the market is changing rapidly so we are waiting to see who is going to end up the dominant force. Is it going to be iPhone or Andriod etc (we doubt it will be windows CE). The problem is that we only want to do the job once as the development is obviously very expensive.

We do like the iPhone, but we don't like their closed business practices... iTunes is horrible for example. We expect that over the next couple of years that andriod based smart phones are going to be the "big thing", but at the moment the hardware needs to catch up.

Kind regards,

Support

ThomasLE71

Postby ThomasLE71 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:36 pm

I don't agree to everything you wrote but of course it's a risk and it would be a large investment to development on a totally new platform with an unknown value.

As a Mac and iPhone/iPad user I was looking for an idea for an iPhone/iPad application. I thought of something like the Live Monitor applications so you could use your iPhone/iPad as a display like the Dash3. The data format from RT is documented so this should be possible, I thought.
But: How to you get the data (in real-time) to the iPhone/iPad.
Are there RS232 to Bluetooth adapters available (at which cost)? At least RS232 to WLAN adapters are quite expensive. And to develop hardware that you can connect to an "iDevice" requires to join some Apple program which doesn't make to easy for a private person. So I dropped this idea very quickly. :(

Back to osborni's question: What about using the existing (although I haven't looked into these) or new export functionality of the Analysis software (http://www.race-technology.com/wiki/index.php/ManagingData/ExportingData)? Using any spreadsheet application (like Excel or Numbers) it should be possible to create tables and diagrams.
And using a virtual PDF printer you could output the track maps to PDF files (http://www.race-technology.com/wiki/index.php/UserInterface/Printing) which you then can display on any device that supports PDF files.
I know that all this is not very handy but at least better that nothing... :wink:

Best regards,
Thomas

scorpia

Postby scorpia » Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:15 pm

fyi bluetooth - serial unit - dont know how or what, and have no connection with seller. US$82.

http://www.sparkfun.com/products/8495

osborni

Postby osborni » Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:29 pm

ThomasLE71 wrote:I don't agree to everything you wrote but of course it's a risk and it would be a large investment to development on a totally new platform with an unknown value.

As a Mac and iPhone/iPad user I was looking for an idea for an iPhone/iPad application. I thought of something like the Live Monitor applications so you could use your iPhone/iPad as a display like the Dash3. The data format from RT is documented so this should be possible, I thought.
But: How to you get the data (in real-time) to the iPhone/iPad.
Are there RS232 to Bluetooth adapters available (at which cost)? At least RS232 to WLAN adapters are quite expensive. And to develop hardware that you can connect to an "iDevice" requires to join some Apple program which doesn't make to easy for a private person. So I dropped this idea very quickly. :(

Back to osborni's question: What about using the existing (although I haven't looked into these) or new export functionality of the Analysis software (http://www.race-technology.com/wiki/index.php/ManagingData/ExportingData)? Using any spreadsheet application (like Excel or Numbers) it should be possible to create tables and diagrams.
And using a virtual PDF printer you could output the track maps to PDF files (http://www.race-technology.com/wiki/index.php/UserInterface/Printing) which you then can display on any device that supports PDF files.
I know that all this is not very handy but at least better that nothing... :wink:

Best regards,
Thomas
There are iPad apps allow for both .csv and .pdf import. I was looking more in the direction of at the track basic analysis review of the run I just did. Trying to sidestep the need for a computer and find a way to natively use the DL1 data and the iPad without any intermediary steps.

Given that apple hasn't developed a CF card reader, just the SD card reader, I'm not sure there is hardware support.

That said, there will likely be competitive tables released that have native USB or ethernet support so that would be more realistic.
BMW 2000 M Coupe

ThomasLE71

Postby ThomasLE71 » Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:13 pm

As far as I know applications cannot access SD cards. This is only supported for photos on the iPad. But on jailbroken devices you can do almost everything. Also I don't believe that you can use bluetooth to connect to a RS232 device. Apple pretty much left the interesting stuff out of their bluetooth implementation on the iDevices (possible are headsets, keyboards, ...).

But there is an official approved adapter: Link

Using this adapter it should be possible to directly communicate with the Race Technology hardware...

Best regards,
Thomas

tasminracer

Postby tasminracer » Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:09 pm

Im very interested in an android or i-pad application. I think both markets arre big enough to take the App.

I'd be looking for a program to display the processed data, So id still do all the processing on a pc, save the processed run file and then load that on the tablet to display trackmaps and graphs etc.

more than happy to help spec and test

osborni

Postby osborni » Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:00 pm

tasminracer wrote:Im very interested in an android or i-pad application. I think both markets arre big enough to take the App.

I'd be looking for a program to display the processed data, So id still do all the processing on a pc, save the processed run file and then load that on the tablet to display trackmaps and graphs etc.

more than happy to help spec and test
If all it did was display lap and sector times, that would be awesome.
BMW 2000 M Coupe

GMS Racing

Postby GMS Racing » Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:52 pm

Hello,

Well it is more than 16 months since Osborni started this post and it is obvious that the iPad rules the tablet market. Since his post the iPad 2 has been released and this has more than enough processing power to actually do the analysis itself. With Apple's well known control of it's hardware and software it must be more difficult to create an App and then have Apple 'approve' it before it can go on the App Store. But it is not impossible.

The main problem seems, to me, to be how to get the data into the iPad. On that thought I will leave and let the 'boffins' think about it.
Regards,

Gary...
Johannesburg
South Africa

Support

Postby Support » Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:26 am

We are now actively working on this... but there is a fair bit of work still to do. "watch this space" ;o)

GMS Racing

Postby GMS Racing » Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:54 am

Great news. The ultimate would be to have the DL(x) communicate directly with the iPad and make the iPad the Dash Display (although this would take revenue from RT) then when finished on the track just unclip the iPad from it's holder in the car and start doing analysis.

Oh well, I can dream :D
Regards,

Gary...
Johannesburg
South Africa

FormulaRedline

Postby FormulaRedline » Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:20 pm

I'm not sure how much I want to strap an iPhone or iPad into my car anyway, but using an iPad, especially the "new" iPad with the huge resolution screen, would be perfect for at the track data analysis!

I'd probably buy an iPad just for this purpose. And whatever piece of connection hardware RT comes up with. *hint-hint*

DMKMM

Postby DMKMM » Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:24 pm

Any updates on this RT?

I vote android... like it was mentioned, ipads/apple are way too closed. Havings this capability with the RT equipment would be epic. *Plus it would be an excuse for work to buy me a tablet :lol: I like the samsung galaxy class tabs.

GMS's idea was great, but even just being able to walk up to the vehilce, push a button on the logger, and have it downloaded to the tablet would be super handy also...

I would say a wi-fi output on the logger system, that way multible pepople could see it (ie a team of technicians or w/e), better range than bluetooth, (faster), you could also use a point to point wi-fi set up and cover an area of a few kilometers, live feed from the vehilce...?

Support

Postby Support » Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:32 pm

Currently our plans are focused on windows 8, and we are working hard to prepare for this later this year. When there is something more to report on this we'll send out a newsletter for sure!

GMS Racing

Postby GMS Racing » Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:45 pm

That's great, completely ignore the biggest selling tablet to concentrate on an, as yet, unreleased and unproven operating system running on, as yet, unspecified hardware. :(
Regards,

Gary...
Johannesburg
South Africa

Return to “Requested new features”