Oil pressure warning DL1+ Dash 4

Morty

Oil pressure warning DL1+ Dash 4

Postby Morty » Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:11 pm

Hi,

is it possible to set up an oil pressure warning on the dash 4 which is only triggered above a certain rpm? I would like to have the lower warning limit set to 2,0 bar when the engine speed is above 1500 rpm.
I have an older DL1 ( I think mk2), a Dash 4 and RT oil pressure sensor.

924RACR

Re: Oil pressure warning DL1+ Dash 4

Postby 924RACR » Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:40 pm

Certainly - did this on mine - same setup as you, Mk2 DL1 and Dash4.

I created a user-defined channel I called "GaugeWarning" with the following definition:
((VAR_0010>5000) and (VAR_0200<1.5))

Where VAR_0010 is RPM and VAR_0200 is oil pressure (in bar). This, naturally, goes to a value of "1" when oil pressure is below 1.5 bar with RPM>5000.

Then you just have to set a warning on this using the Maximum value (maybe set to 0.8)... probably set Minimum to -1, so it won't be triggered.

On the downside, unlike the normal direct input analogs, when the warning is flashed, you won't see the actual oil pressure value, just the bit of "1"...

That said, come to think of it, if you revise the calculation to:
(VAR_0010>1500)*VAR_0200*(VAR_0200<2)

You might be able to actually see the value if you wish... This would show the pressure value, but only if it's below 2.0 and RPM is over 1500.

However you'd have to config it as a max warning - as it'd normally be 0, so with a max warning value of, for example, 0.1, you should see the value displayed.

If you are concerned about seeing the value then.

I'd also recommend setting a max rate of change of some value, or smoothing, to avoid flickering messaging... have run into a bit of this kind of issue myself with dash warnings if you're running close to the limits... can be very annoying when the message keeps coming back just due to noisy signals/sensors...

Hope that helps...

924RACR

Postby 924RACR » Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:45 pm

Another option, if you want to see a displayed value instead of triggering the flashing RPM/warning lights, is to use a conditional (display on value) readout... could have this simply be the oil pressure popping up on your screen only if it becomes an issue... or I've used a bitmap graphic that said "OIL" in the past, displayed based on this channel, or even make all other items disappear (require the channel to be 0 for them to display), if you're already showing oil pressure...

There's a few different ways to skin the cat, hopefully this should give you enough ideas...

Morty

Postby Morty » Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:02 pm

Thank you!!

I have now setup the oil pressure warning according to your guidance. Next weekend is the final for the season and I will check if it works.

Return to “General software support”