Configuring wheel speed sensor in analysis software

timhoverd

Configuring wheel speed sensor in analysis software

Postby timhoverd » Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:43 pm

For ages I've been meaning to ask this, but as it's the end of the season now's the time to try and understand it!

The engine in my car has a perfectly decent speed sensor on the output (it's a motorcycle engine and it's the sensor that Honda use to drive the speedo). I've got this wired into a frequency input on my DL1 Club. I can produce a user defined variable that shows the speed easily and, as you'd expect, the GPS speed varies slightly but not hugely.

However, if I set up the wheel speed formula in the car options then the standard wheel speed variable is resolutely zero. What's more, if I set the analysis/speed options to use the wheel speed sensor only the the data I see are clearly the GPS-derived speeds that were in use before.

This photo shows a quick graph with:

1. The GPS speed which is clear from the various anomolies, even though the analysis options are set to take speed from the wheel speed sensor only.
  2. The wheel speed, resolutely zero even though the wheel speed calculation formula is set correctly
  3. My own wheel speed calculation using a user defined variable and the same formula as was used in (2)

Any idea what's going on?

Tim

(This is with Analysis 8.5.337. I haven't moved on because losing the screen tabs at the bottom of the display would be such a major pain for me.)

Support

Re: Configuring wheel speed sensor in analysis software

Postby Support » Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:43 am

Hi there,

Could you please show an image of the equation that has been applied in the wheel pickup section of the vehicle options in the Analysis software.

From what you have told me it all sounds like the correct procedure has been followed, it may be that the equation used is incorrect.

Kind Regards,
RT Support (SK)

timhoverd

Postby timhoverd » Fri Oct 28, 2016 5:05 pm

Support wrote:Could you please show an image of the equation that has been applied in the wheel pickup section of the vehicle options in the Analysis software.

Well, the equation works fine in a user defined variable! All the same, here's another screenshot.

There you can see the formula being entered in the vehicle options. On the right are:

1. The "speed" trace, oddly showing the GPS/accelerometer speed even though the analysis options are set to "wheel speed sensor only"
  2. The wheel speed, resolutely zero.
  3. A user defined variable which uses the exact same formula (albeit with a kph->mph multiplier) and which works just fine.

Surely someone else must be using a wheel speed sensor?

Thanks in advance,

Tim

timhoverd

Postby timhoverd » Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:10 pm

timhoverd wrote:
Support wrote:Could you please show an image of the equation that has been applied in the wheel pickup section of the vehicle options in the Analysis software.

Well, the equation works fine in a user defined variable! All the same, here's another screenshot.

There you can see the formula being entered in the vehicle options. On the right are:

1. The "speed" trace, oddly showing the GPS/accelerometer speed even though the analysis options are set to "wheel speed sensor only"
  2. The wheel speed, resolutely zero.
  3. A user defined variable which uses the exact same formula (albeit with a kph->mph multiplier) and which works just fine.

Any chance of a response to this? It seems a perfectly reasonable question and it's not as if there's a deluge of other stuff here. I'm happy to provide a .RUN file if that would help.

Tim

Support

Postby Support » Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:50 pm

Apologies for the delay,

The equation seems perfectly reasonable to me.

Please could you email a RUN file over to sam@race-technology.com. I'll take a look and see if I can replicate this.

Kind Regards,
RT Support (SK)

timhoverd

Postby timhoverd » Fri Nov 04, 2016 10:38 am

Support wrote:Please could you email a RUN file over to sam@race-technology.com. I'll take a look and see if I can replicate this.

Thanks, I've actually done a bit more investigation and got a bit closer to what's going on.

In order to check things before I sent you some data I started a blank analysis session, changed the options to enable the wheel speed sensor and loaded in a single RUN file. Lo and behold, there was now wheel speed data! (Face palm time...)

That seemed rather odd. In looking around it seems as if if I load a previously saved session, one with no wheel speed setting, then even if I enable it the data does not appear. (This is how I normally run things, opening a previous session, adding new runs and deleting old ones.)

However, if I start a new session and load the exact same data/variable settings/analysis options and so on then the wheel speed data appears.

It seems as though there's some setting in a save analysis session that overrides a subsequent change?

Make any sense?

Tim

Return to “General software support”