8.5.250 window controls problem

Rich52

8.5.250 window controls problem

Postby Rich52 » Fri Jan 29, 2016 5:13 pm

After installing 8.5.250 there are no tabs in analyser window to select layers and in the Video Config program I can't move the sizing sliders between the sections. I've tried do a "factory" reset of settings but no different. Any ideas?

CharlesElliott

Postby CharlesElliott » Sat Jan 30, 2016 7:35 pm

The tabs looked to have moved to one of the menus now.

Rich52

Postby Rich52 » Sun Jan 31, 2016 3:52 pm

Spotted that in Windows menu but did they really do that on purpose or is it a bug? Its certainly difficult to use as I can't see how to give sensible names to the Layers.

Rich52

Postby Rich52 » Sun Jan 31, 2016 4:00 pm

Just searched through change history and bingo:

update 12/11/2015 8.5.364

- removed tabbed interface at the bottom, moved to windows menu

Why ... ?

CharlesElliott

Postby CharlesElliott » Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:16 am

Slightly more screen real estate I expect. Over the years RT seem to have moved further away from standard Windows controls, all in the name of more space for the actual analysis windows.

timhoverd

Postby timhoverd » Thu Mar 17, 2016 6:17 pm

CharlesElliott wrote:Slightly more screen real estate I expect. Over the years RT seem to have moved further away from standard Windows controls, all in the name of more space for the actual analysis windows.

An utterly foolish approach in my opinion as it means that there's a myriad small bugs in how the system operates. (One small example is that you usually can't tab properly between fields in a dialog box. On the occasions that you can, and they haven't screwed up the tab order, then the existing text is not selected so you can't just type.)

I've just installed the latest version on a new machine and the inability to name layers is a serious problem. Luckily I've kept the old install files...

As so often, I'm seriously unimpressed with RT's software and in particular the user interface... It's only inertia that's stopping me going somewhere else, and the 12 years worth of data...

Tim

racetec
Site Admin

Postby racetec » Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:14 pm

Afternoon,

Yes, the removal of the tab was indeed motivated by regular requests for more screen area... they are now accessible from the menu, but on the current release there is no way to rename them.

In retrospect this was an error, and we hadn't realised how much tabs were used. Hence, in the next release we've improved the situation by putting back the facility to rename tabs, displaying in the move bar which tab you are on, and added short cut keys to switch between them. This has been a request from a number of users... oops!

With regards not using "standard windows controls", typically (again) this is mostly motivated by screen area. However, in my recent experience most software (even from microsoft!) doesn't use what I would regard as "standard windows controls" thoughout. That is something that has really changed over the past 5 years.

With regards your comments Tim, clearly you don't have to update your software if you don't wish to, and we keep all previous versions here - so if you want to roll back that is fine. To be honest given the updates are FOC, your comments do seem "unnecessarily harsh"!

Thanks, Andy

CharlesElliott

Postby CharlesElliott » Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:17 pm

Removing the layer names seems very strange to me....

CharlesElliott

Postby CharlesElliott » Fri Mar 18, 2016 8:02 pm

I posted before I saw racetec's post above. Glad to hear they are coming back.

Return to “General software support”