"Swap file problem" starting analysis software

Dodge62

"Swap file problem" starting analysis software

Postby Dodge62 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:34 pm

I installed 8.5 analysis software on a new laptop.

On the first run, it asked me about the size of the swap file and I chose 4GB on my C disk.

Now whenever I start the software a message box flashes up and disappears before I can read it, and then another pops up saying "Error. There is a problem with the swap file, possibly there is not enough room on the drive". I have 182GB free on the C drive, which is a 240GB SSD. Laptop is running 64 bit Windows 7.

Any idea what the problem might be or how to debug this? I can't find the name/location of the swapfile in any of the config files.

Dodge62

Postby Dodge62 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:45 pm

I just deinstalled and reinstalled (again!)

The chosen directory for the swapfile was C:\ProgramData\Race Technology V8.5\SwapFile

On the first run of the software, it created a file RT_swap_file3.bin in this directory, with the right size (4GB). The software seemed OK at that point. But as soon as I closed it and opened it again I got the error as above.

Dodge62

Postby Dodge62 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:01 pm

I manually deleted the SwapFile, then restarted the software. It created it again, and this time it seems to be OK on subsequent startups.

Looks like a bug, but it's now working OK for me.

As an aside, why do we need a swapfile at all? I have 8GB of memory in my laptop, soon to be 16GB. Couldn't we have an option to keep everything in main memory?

Support

Postby Support » Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:13 pm

Okay - great news that it is working.

WRT to why do we use a swap file, it complicated but the short version is although there is lots of memory in your PC there isn't always enough available to applications. Also on older OS's (eg XP which is still very popular) the maximum addressable space is only about 3GB irrespective of the installed memory.

Thanks, Support

Stratocaster

Postby Stratocaster » Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:41 pm

Support wrote:Okay - great news that it is working.

WRT to why do we use a swap file, it complicated but the short version is although there is lots of memory in your PC there isn't always enough available to applications. Also on older OS's (eg XP which is still very popular) the maximum addressable space is only about 3GB irrespective of the installed memory.

Thanks, Support

Microsoft will end support for XP on April 8 2014

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... pport-help

Return to “General software support”