Dash2Pro, CAN, & AEM EMS setup helpful tips

ScienceofSpeed

Dash2Pro, CAN, & AEM EMS setup helpful tips

Postby ScienceofSpeed » Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:36 pm

With RT USA's help, we were able to successfully get the AEM EMS and Dash2Pro communicating through CAN.

The KB has an article here, however, it is somewhat disjointed and difficult to follow.
http://www.race-technology.com/wiki/ind ... NInterface

Here are some quick step by step instructions that I think will help someone with the same setup. If this is your first time and depending on the complexity of your configuration, expect to spend about 2-4 hours on the initial setup. We hope these steps help you. Race Technology can help with any more detail, and you're always welcome to contact us. We offer telemetry setup services.

Note:
- With Dash2Pro, the CAN option must be purchased. This gives you 15 channels of data between the ECU and dash. The CAN icon should illuminate on the dash if the CAN license is properly enabled and data is being received.
- CAN works with AEM EMS Series 2 and AEM Infinity ECUs. We have not tested an Infinity with CAN, however the protocal is the same so it should work fine. This does not work with Series 1.

Quick start instructions:
1. wire CAN1L & CAN1H to the respective CAN inputs in the Dash2Pro harness.

2. For a starting point, in AEMTuner, go to Wizards > Setup Wizard > Telemetry: AEMNet. Double click "AEMNet Datastream". It should then be bolded and report "Matched". This will turn on CAN communication, and map a number of channels to data parameters.

3. Next in AEMTuner, go to Tools > Configure Telemetry > CAN Telemetry. This screen allows you to configure data to the dash from the ECU.

4. The AEM datastream allows thirty two bytes of data. You will see four "CAN messages". Each message (which is identified with a unique HEX ID as shown on each message window), consists of 8 bytes of data (4 x 8 = 32). Each byte is configurable to any parameter the ECU sees. You can scan through them by clicking the channel. Note some channels use one byte of data (ie. coolant temp), others use two (ie. engine speed). For some reason, CAN did not work if the HEX ID started with a "0". We also changed the last digit of the HEX ID to better coincide with the "message numbering" from the EMS to be more logical. For example, we changed each message to have the ID of 0x11F0A001, 0x11F0A002, 0x11F0A003, 0x11F0A004.

You may can have 15 inputs to the dash. 1 paramater = 1 input. RPM for examples uses two bytes of data (two of the thirty two available) but only one input of the fifteen. You can select and change any of them on the four pages including reordering them. You will note that the channels that require two bytes of data must be on odd numbered bytes (engine speed for example sits on byte 1 & 2 of the first message by default.

Once you have the data set up, you can then click "show info". This will give you a report, which you may want to print, to use to setup CAN on the Dash2Pro. Important information is transfer speed, hex ID, and 8 relevant columns for each data byte: byte, name, units, scalar, offset, min, max, and signed.

These parameters will be passed digitally to the Dash2Pro in the units as specified. If you want to read a different unit on the dash than what is indicated (for example deg F instead of deg C for coolant temp), you can simply apply a formula in the Dash2Pro configuration tool to convert this. Certain parameters we found easier to pass as volts, then apply a formula in the Dash2Pro configuration (such as MAP volts). Remember that for non-standard sensors wired in to the EMS on ADCR channels, you will need to have a voltage/unit reference.

5. I suggest making a spread sheet that has the following columns for each parameter you are passing:

CAN input, AEM parameter name, Dash2Pro parameter name, units, Hex address, start bit, length (bits), value type, scalar, and offset.

Fill in the rows for the number of parameters you are passing for however many you are passing. Using the AEM's CAN setup "show info", you can fill in the columns for AEM parameter name, units, Hex address, and scalar.

You will need to calculate the inverse of the scalar shown on this chart. (ie. 1/scalar shown). For example, on AEM's scalar of engine speed is .390625. Dash2Pro needs the inverse, 1/.390625, or 2.56.

6. Next, you will open the Dash2Pro configuration tool and click on the CAN inputs icon. Set CAN port to Port 1, CAN baud rate to 500 kbit, Silent mode unchecked, CAN ID length to 29 bit.

7. The first 15 "CAN input" numbers are used with the Dash2Pro. Think of CAN input numbers are the data parameter you are wishing to pass. Each CAN input number can consist of either one or two bytes of data. Each byte of data consists of a CAN Hex address (as discussed above) and 8 bits of data (for a parameter using one byte) or 16 bits of data (for a parameter using two bytes).

Check "enable" for each CAN input you would like to use. Next, use the "Map channel to" drop down to map the which named Dash2Pro channel you will be assigning that parameter to.

8. Next, click configure. Set the CAN Address (Hex) to the address from your spreadsheet for this CAN input. The software already has 0x prefilled, so you will copy the next digits. I am using engine speed as an example, which according to the setup we used, would be "11F0A001". CAN Address (Decimal) is already populated.

The CAN byte map on the bottom of this screen is key to figuring out the start bit. Engine speed by AEM's default sets engine speed to byte 1 & 2. If you look at the map on the far right of byte 2, you will see the start bit is
8. So, for this parameter, the start bit should be 8. Since this parameter uses two channels, select 16 for bits (as described above). You will now see that the CAN message populates CAN Byte 1 & CAN Byte 2. All byte orders from AEM are Motorola forw LSB. Set the value type to signed or unsigned based on the "show info" screen you printed from AEM. Enter in the scalar (inverted) and offset from the AEM sheet. The minimum and maximum value should then match the same information from the AEM sheet.

9. Repeat this process for each parameter. It is important then to save the CAN configuration. Note: the CAN configuration is not saved in the dash configuration file. If you do not save the CAN configuration and save the dash configuration only, you will loose your CAN setup.

Each time that you open a saved Dash configuration, you will need to go in to CAN setup and open the saved CAN configuration file before uploading to the Dash. Note, that somewhat illogically, when a Dash config file is opened, that the CAN channels "enabled" box will be checked for each channel that has an assignment. If you do not uncheck these boxes first, when you open the CAN config file, it will populate in the channels below these checked boxes.

10. Once CAN is setup, you can now set up the LCD data areas to display the channel you have mapped to. Note that you can apply formulas in CAN setup to convert any units passed from the dash to units you wish to read on the Dash.

blizard

Postby blizard » Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:01 am

Has anyone set up a Dash2 Pro with CAN input from an AEM Infinity ECU?
I'm trying to understand what I need to do but I can't even find any CAN options/menus in Infinity Tuner... It is different to AEM Tuner and doesn't have the same structure as mentioned in the post above.
Any help appreciated.

khp

Postby khp » Mon Dec 29, 2014 5:47 am

blizard, did you have any luck with the Infinity? I am trying to connect it to a MKII DL1 with CAN adapter. I haven't found any way to configure the CAN stream out of the ECU.

I see in the RT knowledgebase that they say no configuration is required. I would prefer to add oil temperature to the data stream, but that may be more of a problem with AEM.

Any help would be appreciated.

Support

Support

Postby Support » Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:47 pm

Looking at the information we have for the AEM CAN protocol there are these analogue channels output. I can add these to the configuration which will then require the end user to figure out which channel which and the correct equation to convert the unit.

Please send me an email if you want a copy of this configuration Kieran at race - technology . com

Support

screen shot windows

Return to “General software support”