Video Synchronizer working???

drf99

Video Synchronizer working???

Postby drf99 » Sat May 19, 2012 7:14 pm

We have recently added a video synchronizer along with a video software license.
I have a nice set of data and can successfully convert the avi format to vd4 format. However both attempts have resulted in the following message:
Failed to locate a valid location for the flashing light

The unit is located on the dashboard virtually dead center in the camera's view. The leads appear to be correctly connected to the DL1. Is it possible that these leads are reversed? I noted there was not clarity in the instructions as to which wire went to which terminal.

Thanks,
Dave F.

Support

Support

Postby Support » Mon May 21, 2012 12:16 pm

Can you see the light flashing in the video? The software is trying to find pixels that are just going on and off at the correct frequency. If the camera is not firmly mounted then as the camera moves the LED moves around on the screen and is unable to sync.

BR,
RT

Rob Stevens

Postby Rob Stevens » Mon May 21, 2012 1:54 pm

I had countless problems trying to make it work, gave up in the end and removed the LED from the module and mounted it remotely on a stick right in front of the camera so the led is huge in the cameras view, works fine now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zNKpQldc2g

drf99

Re: Support

Postby drf99 » Wed May 23, 2012 10:28 pm

I can see the flashing light quite clearly. It certainly does not seem to be vibrating much to my eye.

One of the errors I get is:
"Error - There is a significant difference between the detected length of the video and data, and they cannot be automatically synchronized"

OK, I started the video way too early to make *sure* the video was running before data. On video I can see the driver toggle on the DL1 a bit before data collection automatically starts with a set velocity. I can also see him toggle it off after he crosses the finish line as to not collect data during the cool down lap.

So I then start trimming the video and get this one instead:
"Error - failed to find a valid start, please check that the video recording was started before the data logger."

I also get this message:
"Analysis - The video playback takes over 30% CPU load on this PC, video playback quality may be compromised when attempting to playback more than 1 video stream"

I've tried clipping with various tolerances and reducing the size & quality all to no avail. The notebook is only a year old, purchased *for* Race analysis.

Thanks,
Dave F.

Support wrote:Can you see the light flashing in the video? The software is trying to find pixels that are just going on and off at the correct frequency. If the camera is not firmly mounted then as the camera moves the LED moves around on the screen and is unable to sync.

BR,
RT

jeffw

Postby jeffw » Thu May 24, 2012 9:43 am

I use a Video Sync and a DL1 in my Phoenix. I have recently uprated the camera to 1080p (which isn't supported by RT yet) so the video needs to be reduced by the Media to VD4 converter.

As long as the camera looks straight down the led box there isn't much of an issue.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiwYVg4m7uA&list=UUyjCHSGwXhVEXz3hsQuAlAw&index=1&feature=plcp

Support

Postby Support » Mon May 28, 2012 8:19 am

Hi Dave,

I'm trying to get a copy of your video for review via Al in the USA, I'll let you know what I find and reply on email. The most common issues are:

- LED is moving in the video
- LED is blocked by an arm or helmet

I've not seen any "bugs" in the system for a while, so I think it's either right, or very close to being right!!

Kind regards,

Andy

mattipuh

Issue syncing with led

Postby mattipuh » Fri May 24, 2013 8:03 pm

I installed the sync led and tested it with video.
led is really dim - is this normal? It is visible to human eye but not visible in the videos.

I powered it from the same source than the DL1 (the cigarrette lighter). Is the power too low for the led?

analysis software does not find the sync.

Support

Postby Support » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:42 am

The LED is infra red, so you shouldn't be able to see it, but it should show up on the video. The only thing to be aware of is that the LED is very directional, I think only about 10 degrees... so it must be pointing directly at the camera lens.

Thanks,

Support - Andy

Return to “General software support”