ECU Wiring with DL1 and PC/Dash2

V8Mike

ECU Wiring with DL1 and PC/Dash2

Postby V8Mike » Sat May 21, 2011 6:21 pm

I must be having a complete mental block on how to wire this up.
I have a DL1, Dash2 and now a Megasquirt ECU module.

Firstly the DB9 from the back of the DL1 is male. The DB9 from the ECU is female. The PC (Serial to USB) connector is male.

If I connect the DL1 to the PC using a null modem (female to female) cable that was supplied originally Lite Monitor can see a stream of data (albeit a tad limited as I'm sat in the garage with the car on stands). I use a male to female DB9 extension cable for the Megasquirt to the PC and that will read the data fine from their monitor program.

Now my problem is that according to the ECU wiring diagram the cable and DB9 with the box inline goes to the ECU. That's fine as it's a male on the RT end and a female on the Megasquirt side. Now the "Serial Data In" DB9, which goes to the DL1 is a male, but so is the DL1. Here is my problem.

Have I missed something? I have exactly what RT delivered to me, and it just won't fit together. Now I've not had chance to call them, as I've just started to install this today. Actually I'm still sat in the car now getting cold.

If I connect the various cables I have with the various gender ends then I can connect it all up, but the Lite Monitor won't see the DL1 at all, with or without the ECU on.

I've reflashed the DL1 and Dash2 as per the instructions to bring them up to the latest versions. The run file I generate now has Firmware revision 39-5. The Dash2 however flashed fine, but now has a completely corrupt screen and won't respond to the DL1 or over the serial cable at all. My day just gets better :cry:

I thought I would post a question here in the hope that someone can spot my obvious mistake (hopefully) and I can get somewhere tomorrow.

Thanks for reading this far, Mike...

*** Update ***
I've fixed the Dash2 display problem. The new firmware doesn't work with my unit. I've reflashed with an older firmware and it's back to how it was. Thank ~Insert deity of choice~ that's fixed.

osborni

Postby osborni » Sun May 22, 2011 10:48 am

Serial links are daisy chained.
BMW 2000 M Coupe

V8Mike

Postby V8Mike » Mon May 23, 2011 5:13 pm

You're going to have to give me more than that?

According to the RT installation diagram and the ECU Serial module it just will not all connect together. If I connect it up the only way the gendered ends will allow it won't work.

Can you elaborate on what you mean?

Thanks, Mike...

osborni

Postby osborni » Mon May 23, 2011 7:36 pm

Not sure if the direction of signal travel matters....

DL1 Tx > Dash2 Rx - Dash2 Tx > ECU Rx - ECU Tx > DL1 Rx

Might be a "token ring" not a "daisy chain" but whatever.

Funny that it doesn't work right with the supplied connectors. You have "serial data decoded" selected on the DL1 setup.bin?

The oddball is the megasquirt - try setting up the cables as if the megasquirt was a R-T ECU interface?

Will the Dash2 work on it's own?
BMW 2000 M Coupe

Return to “General software support”