KPro ECU Interface issues

midlana

KPro ECU Interface issues

Postby midlana » Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:18 am

I bough the DASH2, DL1, and Hondata Kpro ECU interface package about a year ago.

Problem: No ECU data appears on the DASH2, and after flailing around, attention concentrated on the ECU Interface. Talked to the U.S. rep and reflashed everything with the latest version.

Plugged in the ECU Interface, powered it up, added the loop-back connector, and fed it straight into a PC running Monitor Lite and - nothing. Varified with a scope that the ECU is feeding 9600 baud data (exactly) into pin 2 (yellow wire), but there is zero activity on any of the output pins, everything's at zero other than the +12V line.

Question: Does the interface require a "clear-to-send" or equivalent? Reason I ask is with the system connected together, I see data on both RX and TX on the output side of the ECU interface. It's most likely data going between the DL1 and DASH2, but is any of it addressed to the ECU Interface?

If not, it appears I have a dead ECU interface, though it's odd that I can reflash it successfully. I'm currently waiting to hear back from the U.S. RT rep.
Last edited by midlana on Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

midlana

Postby midlana » Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:37 am

Further developments:

Found that the Hondata ECU outputs the following data:

Byte Contents

0 Identification byte (0x69)
1 Speed (kph, LSB = 1 kph)
2-3 Rpm (LSB = 0.25 rpm)
4 Gear (0 - 6)
5 ECT (degrees Celsius + 40, LSB 1 deg)
6 IAT (degrees Celsius + 40, LSB 1 deg)
7 Battery voltage (volts, LSB = 0.1V)
8 TPS (0% = 0x15, 100% = 0xE5)
9-10 MAP (mbar, LSB = 1 mbar)
11-12 Injector duration
13 Ignition timing (degs + 0x80, LSB = 0.5 deg)
14 Output bit field
15 Input bit field
16 Cam angle (degrees + 40, LSB = 0.5 deg)
17-18 Lambda (0x8000 = 1.00, LSB = 1/0x8000 lambda)
19-20 Knock count (knocks since power on, LSB = 1 knock)
21 Checksum
(Red parameters are not in the RT Interface output.)

And what the Race Tech Hondata ECU Interface outputs:

Note the substantial differences. Why does the RT module only outputs 9 of the 15 parameters?

It seems like either the RT Interface module discards some parameters (that I would like to use), or it's rejecting the entire packet because its length isn't as expected. If it's the second case, the module would output nothing, which is what I'm seeing.

Can Support please help explain what's going on? I'm currently going through the U.S. RT rep, and he's sent much the same to RT for comment, but it seems like it could help a lot of people to see the answer here.

Looking forward to a response, thanks.

midlana

Postby midlana » Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:38 pm

Received an answer from RT USA. Seems that the Hondata ECU puts out a non-standard RS-232 signal (and it does.) I assumed that the Interface must deal with that, since it's a product that's sold. Turns out that there's a specific piece of hardware made only for the KPro, but what I received was a generic unit programmed with KPro interface code, so there's the issue. Hopefully the right unit will solve the issue. Thanks to Al at RT USA for figuring this out.

That aside, it still doesn't answer the issue of why the RT Interface only decodes 9 of the 15 possible parameters... Some of the missing ones would be very handy to have. The story continues...

RTUSA
Site Admin

Postby RTUSA » Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:51 pm

In defense of RT UK - they have been aware of the need for special hardware for the Hondata KPro for some time, the fault was mine for being unaware of this 'til now.

In terms of the channels, RT maps ECU channels into a set of RT ECU channels. In some cases there is no matching RT ECU channel to map to. We can certainly request additional channels, but as this impacts all of our equipment (all must operate with the same channel definitions) it is not a small thing to add some.

Al Seim
RTUSA
Al Seim
Race Technology USA

midlana

Postby midlana » Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:15 am

Al is right; apparently RT makes exactly two Interface units: a generic one that works with virtually every ECU on the market, and then there's one to work with the one ECU on the planet that's different - guess which one that is? The Hondata board outputs data that doesn't have proper RS-232 signal levels, so RT solved that by making a unit that converts the levels. With Al's help the situation was quickly resolved and he's been very helpful, always getting back to me promptly with answers.

So it looks like the issues been resolved, and was posted here to help other's in case the same situation happens to them. (In fact, it has happened to other people, but human nature being what it is, they never posted what the solution was - well, here it is.)

midlana

Postby midlana » Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:39 pm

Okay, received the new interface, hooked it up, and it works - almost.

The Race Tech Hondata ECU Interface is supposed to put out:

Without starting the engine, I was able to test that coolant temperature works and is accurate, air temp works, battery voltage is reading fine... but throttle position is frozen (while the others actively update.) Using Hondata's KManager program, I can see all the above variables at the same time and they all agree, AND throttle position updates perfectly. However, throttle position on the Dash2 is permanently stuck at "26."
I wonder what ECU parameter it's really reading... Perhaps throttle is a parameter that only updates when there's rpm? Could be, though that seems kind of strange. RT Support, comments?
Last edited by midlana on Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:34 am, edited 2 times in total.

midlana

Postby midlana » Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:23 pm

Another issue.

Shown first is the RT Configuration screen, no problem here:

The above configuration was loaded into the Dash2, resulting in the display shown below. Note how coolant temp, throttle, and L1 display match what was configured, but the graphical tach units are scrambled. Rebooting the Dash2 corrected the issue, but it makes me wonder how only a subset of a configuration change can happen, and in fact, the tach wasn't even reconfigured during this session. (Also note how throttle is stuck at "26" as noted in above post.)

Last edited by midlana on Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

midlana

Postby midlana » Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:09 pm

So can RT Support please comment on this, why throttle position is stuck at "26"? Thanks.

Support

Postby Support » Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:13 am

Hi,

I need to check this with the engineer who worked ECU interface. Can you forward me your DASH2 configuration please? My email address is andrew@race-????.com

Thanks,

Andy

midlana

Postby midlana » Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:10 pm

Will do.

midlana

Postby midlana » Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:14 pm

RT said my configuration file's fine, and that the interface does work - though apparently only when the engine's running. Said another way, they were not able to say it works with the engine off. So I just have to calm down and wait until I get it running... I'm just trying to get as much sorted out now while I have the time for debugging. After that, it becomes much less convenient since, if it's not working, it'll be holding up dyno testing.

midlana

Postby midlana » Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:55 pm

To add closure to this thread, everything is working fine now.

The tach wasn't working until I was reminded that while 90% of the dash configuration is contained in the configuration file, a few more parameters can only be set via the menu buttons.

Anyhow, all appears well (still haven't checked to see if throttle position is now logged) but it's looking good. A big thanks must go out to Al of RT USA, who worked with me to make it all good.

Support

Postby Support » Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:49 am

Thanks for adding closure to the thread - I'm sure this will be of use to other customers in the future!

Kind regards,

Support

midlana

Postby midlana » Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:49 pm

There is one more issue...

The Hondata ECU provides vehicle speed, yet the RT ECU Interface doesn't appear to acquire it! The Dash2 has a speedometer that needs a speed signal... why not use the value provided? While a wire can be added to tap the speed sensor signal, I'm puzzled why the interface doesn't just pass it on.
Last edited by midlana on Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

midlana

Postby midlana » Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:18 pm

RT reply:
At the moment the DASH2 can only take the speed information from the pulse input, but as you say in this case it would make more sense to take it from the ECU when available. I’ll ask the engineer to include this when possible, but in the mean time I’m afraid a wheel speed pickup is the only option.

Return to “General software support”