Config directory change w/ Analysis v7075

Gregg

Config directory change w/ Analysis v7075

Postby Gregg » Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:41 am

Just a quick note, since RT can't seem to figure out how to keep a user's Analysis settings when you upgrade to a newer version...

The release notes for v7075 say that they, "changed the location of the user data directories to ensure it installs on windows 7 and vista systems without causing security problems"

That's wonderful, but it would be nice to tell us where you're now putting these data directories so we can restore our configurations after upgrading the software.

On Windows7, prior to v7075 your Analysis config data was kept here:
C:\ProgramData\Race Technology

When running installer, setup program backs up your configs to:
c:\ProgramData\Race Technology_Backup_8-5-2010_23-07-15 (the date/time correspond to when you upgrade)

v7075 is now keeping your configs in:
C:\Users\Public\Race Technology\XXXXX (where 'XXXXX' is your Windows login name)

My point being that you REALLY need to better communicate these changes. Given that your installer is not capable of retaining our customizations, did you expect each of us to search out our hard drives to find these files.

Second, I strongly suggest that, given the frequency of software updates, you engineer a method of not just backing up configurations but actually reapplying them to new versions of the software.

Gregg

Postby Gregg » Sun Aug 15, 2010 3:35 am

So today I upgraded from 7075 to 7076 and went to start Analysis.

Guess what......

My previously saved configs were not used. In addition, I saw no dialog this time saying that my configs had been saved.

It turns out that 7076's installer silently backed up the configs to:

C:\Users\Public\Race Technology_Backup_8-14-2010_23-23-50

and

C:\Users\Public\Race Technology_Backup_8-14-2010_23-24-04

Two questions...

1. Why are two folders with seemingly identical data created about 15sec apart?

2. Why can't you restore the data, rather than making the user *again* go searching the hard drive for their files in an undocumented location?

Support

Postby Support » Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:51 am

Hi Gregg,

Sorry about that, this is an issue that we are aware of and we've added in new functions to v8 of the software (to be released soon) to resolve this.

Kind regards,

Support

Support

Support

Postby Support » Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:47 am

Hello,

Which product do you have?

The configuration needs to be done on the hardware before it is recorded for setting the GMT.

On the DL1 mk3/pro it is done here>>> http://www.race-technology.com/wiki/ind ... ardStorage

Kind regards,
Kieran

Return to “General software support”