Dash2 5V reference output

71dsp

Dash2 5V reference output

Postby 71dsp » Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:23 pm

I am almost finished with a complete rewire of my track car, and I have found that there is no 5V output from my Dash2. I've double checked all the wiring and the Dash2 otherwise functions correctly.

I seem to recall that some of the early Dash2s did not have a 5V output, but I thought I had checked and mine did. However this was a couple of years ago. I've searched, but I can't seem to find any threads that detail how to determine my Dash2 should have the 5V out or not. Is there a way to tell if my Dash2 should have the 5V output?

If it is supposed to have the 5V out, I'm wondering if I should send it in to RT to have it checked out. Any advice? :)

Thanks!
Billy
98 Prelude - #27 NASA TX PT

jlucas

Postby jlucas » Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:20 pm

Email the UK folks the serial number of your display (stick on the back of the unit). If there's no sticker than it's most likely an earlier one but the UK guys may know how to extract the serial another way.

If the harness you have is the one that came with the Dash2 and it does not have the 5v lead then most likely you don't have the output.

Regulated 5V chips at RadioShack/DigiKey/etc are cheap. Amperage of the built in circuits (DL1 & DASH2) is limited so you end up using these anyways if your powering a bunch of stuff.
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index ... Id=2062599
Jeremy Lucas
Fast Tech Limited - a Race Technology Dealer

71dsp

Postby 71dsp » Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:48 am

Thanks Jeremy. I'll check it out. I know I have a sticker on the backside of the Dash2, but I need to remove it to look at it. I'm using the new connectors I bought from you. I'll check the connectors that came with the Dash2.

I knew I'd need another 5V source since I'm using so many sensors, so I did some checking around and came across this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... K:MEWNX:IT

BTW, the solder cups on those Dash2 connectors are tiny! 22 gauge wire is too large. I had to use 24 gauge on all of it.
Billy

JimEli

Postby JimEli » Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:01 pm

a good diy example of how to source 5v from a car:

http://www.seetron.com/an_vpwr1.htm

osborni

Postby osborni » Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:18 pm

I have done the linear regulator successfully as well.

Wondering if anybody has tried a carputer power supply to get a stable 12 vdc? With a 13.8 VDC system on a car, there isn't enough headroom to get a good 12 volts out of a linear regulator.
BMW 2000 M Coupe

pault

12V Regulators

Postby pault » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:43 pm

Micrel makes a MIC29151-12WT. It is a 12V linear regulator that supports 0.35V of dropout (Vin to Vout) and 1.5A of output current in to TO-220 package.

I've never used this part, so I have no first hand experience with it. I have used other LDO (0.5V) regulators extensively with no issues in non-automotive applications.

Paul

71dsp

Postby 71dsp » Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:10 pm

osborni wrote:I have done the linear regulator successfully as well.

Wondering if anybody has tried a carputer power supply to get a stable 12 vdc? With a 13.8 VDC system on a car, there isn't enough headroom to get a good 12 volts out of a linear regulator.

I'm going to give one of these switching power supplies a try:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... K:MEWNX:IT

I ordered the 5V regulators I'm using from the same vendor. The 5V regulators appear to be well built, they just need to be installed in a case of some sort.
Billy

Return to “General software support”