very disappointed

joesford1

very disappointed

Postby joesford1 » Sun Dec 20, 2009 8:49 am

Hi Kieran,
My name is joe Natoli. I am writng to you as now i am beyond the point of giving a toss about this product. I have sent you files in the past {Monday, 7 September 2009 12:44:53 PM} trying to get my problem sorted.It has now been a year since i purchased this dash 2 and logger and sensors .After the inital hardware setup in the car ,we have spent the last 9 months trying to get this dash and logger to work. My electrician who did join your forum his name is sideshow,ask some questions regarding the setup ,

http://www.race-technology.com/forum/vi ... php?t=1330

http://www.race-technology.com/forum/vi ... php?t=1658

The answers he got back did not help.

I have now tried three other electrician's and they all said that it is the product that is the problem and not what they were doing in getting the dash setup,they all said that the equations being supplied were useless for what is being used.
I have not been able to race my drag car at all ,All i wanted was a product that would do some simple monitoring and logging of the engines vitals and behaviours.

If you do not reply to this ,well at least i can say i tried to make contact again.

patje

Postby patje » Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:28 pm

Hi,

I also had problems with my sensor values. After reading the knowledge base a few times i found the problems. I had VDO sensors.
Had the wrong resistors and supply voltage was not stable. Did you read the knowledge base? If you want help, we will need more details on you're installation. How did you connect everything? Voltage,earth,resistors,... Could you post an electrical drawing?

http://www.race-technology.com/wiki/ind ... re/Sensors

osborni

Postby osborni » Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:27 pm

I've not had any problems not caused by me. :)

+2 on too much complaining without details on what you are trying to do.

We can't help if you don't provide details.....
BMW 2000 M Coupe

tristancliffe

Postby tristancliffe » Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:02 am

My Race Technology stuff worked flawlessly 99.9% of the time, and any problems were usually caused by me too.

Bring your car to me, and I'll get it working in a day for you. Perhaps you need to find better auto-electricians?
Monoposto 2000 - Reynard 883 Toyota

GMS Racing

Postby GMS Racing » Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:16 pm

Hi there,

Seems Sideshow is unfamiliar with quadratic equations - and there is no need for him to know anyway. The info below is taken from the R-T site.

Air Temperature Sensor

Description
High quality "NTC" type air temperature probe manufactured by Bosch. Overall length of 49mm, and a fitting thread of M12 x 1.5mm pitch. Temperature range of -40°C to 130°C. The resistance of the sensor changes with temperature. For direct connection to the DL1 a "pull up resistor" is required. If the sensor is ordered with a cable, this resistor is already included and will be ready for immediate use with the DL1.

Technical Data
Measuring Range -40...+130 °C
Permissible Temp max °C +130
Electrical Resistance at 20 °C kΩ 2.5 ±5%
Electrical Resistance at: –10°C kΩ 8.26...10.56
+20°C kΩ 2.28...2.72
+80°C kΩ 0.290...0.364
Nominal Voltage ≤5V
Measured Current,max mA 1
Self-heating at max. permissible power loss P=2mW and stationary air (23°C) ≤2K
Thermal time constant *1 Ca.20s
Guide value for permissible vibration acceleration (sinusoidal vibration) m•s-2 100
*1 At 20°C. Time required to reach 63% of final value for difference in resistance, given an abrupt increase in air temperature; air pressure 1000 mbar; airflow rate 6 m • s-1

Installation Instructions
Physical installation is to be such that the front part of the sensing element is directly exposed to the airflow.
When supplied with a cable for use with the DL1, the sensor is supplied with a series 1k "pull up" resistor. The red lead should be attached to the +5v supply from the DL1, the black lead should be connected to the ground connection on the DL1 and the white lead should be connected to an analogue input. To convert the voltage recorded by the logger into a temperature, the following formula can be entered into the user defined variable table:

Temperature [Celsius] = -0.7153x^4 + 5.3693x^3 - 10.06x^2 - 28.423x + 123.73

I suggest that you check the connections again to ensure correct polarity and that you are connecting to the +5V feed from the Dash2 and also ensure that the 1kOhm pull-up resistor is installed correctly. then it must work.
Regards,

Gary...
Johannesburg
South Africa

Support

Postby Support » Mon Dec 21, 2009 5:46 pm

Hi Joesford1,

The forum is really for getting support from other users, we check the forum every few days - but typically if you want help from RT directly then it is far better to email us. Kieran is off having a baby at the moment... or at least his parner is... so he is unavailable. If you could email me details of the problem I will do my best to help in any way I can. Please email "andrew@race..."

If you want to save some time then feel free to forward any previous correspondance.

Also a big thanks for the moral support from the other customers that posted here - we really do work hard to help as much as possible, honest ;o)

Kind regards,

Andy (aka RT-Support)

joesford1

Postby joesford1 » Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:41 am

Hi just finished reading replys. I would firstly say i did supply all the information to andrew several months ago.i am using the bosch senors supplyied from RT and I would bring my car to you tristancliffe but i live in Sydney Australia.
Well i can only say thank you for the info supplied ,sorry about the rant ,but over here we have no RT experts and can get very frustrating especially when you set dealines for meetings.
I will try what has been suggested and in the new year will get back to you all.

Once again thanks for being there.
joe.

osborni

Postby osborni » Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:11 pm

There are a myriad of other details that are relevant to the issue that you describe. GMS asked most of them.

To start - has the sensor been hooked up with proper polarity to the 5 VDC supply?
Verified that you have a good CF card to record data?
Getting a GPS lock to time stamp the data properly (still there without it, but hard to find)?
Have the sensors been enabled via the DL1 config tool?
Do the status lights respond appropriately when the CF card is loaded with the config?
Do you get samples recorded in Analysis Variables tool>Check available variables?
Have you verified that the sensor conversion is set up properly in the "external inputs" section of the variables manager?

In all of your posts, you haven't answered any of those questions......
BMW 2000 M Coupe

joesford1

Postby joesford1 » Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:19 pm

osborni wrote:There are a myriad of other details that are relevant to the issue that you describe. GMS asked most of them.

To start - has the sensor been hooked up with proper polarity to the 5 VDC supply?
Getting a GPS lock to time stamp the data properly (still there without it, but hard to find)?
Do the status lights respond appropriately when the CF card is loaded with the config?
Do you get samples recorded in Analysis Variables tool>Check available variables?
Have you verified that the sensor conversion is set up properly in the "external inputs" section of the variables manager?

from what i can gather you seem very well aqainted with the product.I on the other hand have only just started to scatch the surface.
I am not as compter savy as some of you and trying to set this up is hard.
these questions you ask ,will be looked at .I only have 2 senors ,Air pressure and oil pressure ,also rpm,and this one alone is causing great headache, when setting this up it asks for all sorts of different values like decay rate etc ,how are you suppose to know all of this . maybe i need to read more ,but i cant seem to find such info.

stephen hooker

Postby stephen hooker » Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:34 am

Joe,
I am near Warragamba and may be able to help. I have a lot of DL1 experience, both installing and using.

PM me for a phone contact on . . . mtce at ozemail dot com dot au.
Stephen Hooker
Sydney, Australia

tristancliffe

Postby tristancliffe » Wed Dec 23, 2009 2:09 pm

joesford1 wrote:
osborni wrote:There are a myriad of other details that are relevant to the issue that you describe. GMS asked most of them.

from what i can gather you seem very well aqainted with the product.I on the other hand have only just started to scatch the surface.
I am not as compter savy as some of you and trying to set this up is hard.
these questions you ask ,will be looked at .I only have 2 senors ,Air pressure and oil pressure ,also rpm,and this one alone is causing great headache, when setting this up it asks for all sorts of different values like decay rate etc ,how are you suppose to know all of this . maybe i need to read more ,but i cant seem to find such info.

Just be patient and logical.

First of all check the wiring - the feed to the DL1, the GPS connector, and of course the wiring to your sensors. Red is, usually, +5V, black is GND and white or green is the signal. Pull up resistors, if required, are included with RT sensors built into the wiring.

Secondly - make sure the CF card is formatted - plug it into your PC, select Format, and choose the FAT option (NOT FAT32).

Open the DL1 Configuration tool (Start Menu, Programs, Race Technology, Configuration, DL1.
Enable the channels used for your sensors, and select the rate of logging you want (faster uses more disk space, and can provide too much 'noise'. Coolant temp, for instance, can be measured at 1Hz). Disable unused channels if you want, but it isn't critical.

Save the config to your memory card. Then plug it into the DL1, and turn on the DL1. The lights will come on solid for a few seconds whilst it updates itself, and then blink as normal. Once you have a GPS lock you should be able to start logging, and it should record everything.

Check it's all working in Analysis.

If it isn't then use the Monitor program to check the voltages 'seen' by the DL1.

Report back what you find. We aren't being smartasses, we just a) want to help and b) know there isn't anything wrong or particularly complicated about the DL1.
Monoposto 2000 - Reynard 883 Toyota

boxheadmr

Postby boxheadmr » Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:28 am

Hi,

If you are in Sydney then i can put you onto someone that fixed all the sensor issues and wired up my car for me with the dash and DL1. I am using quiet a few sensors so he also welded in bungs etc into piping and the diff.
He is in the Hornsby area but is mobile and affordable - http://enginewhisperer.com/wp/

I know exactly how you feel as went through a few issues to start with and still haveing issues with walking or shifting with the GPS tracking that i need to get sorted out. Had to originally send mine back to the UK becasue it need adjusting for the sth hemisphere aparently.

Where did you get the unit from? MMSPORT or from Motokinet?

Regards

Matt

boxheadmr

Postby boxheadmr » Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:17 am

talking with andrew it seems there was some problems with one of the sensors, is everything OK now?

Matt

sideshow

Postby sideshow » Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:36 am

hehe last time i learnt quadratic equations was in legoland maths

the thing im pissed off with is fking race technologies supplied him factory sensors and in software i selected factory sensors
y the fk did we get wrong readings

like when u go and fking buy a toyota do they fking supply u with nissan sensors on the engine NO

anyway i will never go near this producto again
if i do i will charge 150 bucks an hour and no limit untill the customer says thats enough
or might be better i just dont touch the shit
if it was my car i would spent time to figure it out
might take ahwile but i would give it time and patience

but when u have to do a customers car how can you justify the 20 to 30 hours

in real life products like this get a bad name because u need a degree to work them out and most people stay away from them

just my 2 cents

boxheadmr

Postby boxheadmr » Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:24 am

think andrew helped him out with his problems.

Return to “General software support”