Unable to get Motec M800 interface to work

kuah

Unable to get Motec M800 interface to work

Postby kuah » Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:14 pm

I am using a DL1 + DASH3 with a serial Motec M800 interface to a Motec M800. The M800 is on version 3.51 firmware and software. The RS-232 output on the M800 is setup for 19,800bps and ADL data set (number 1). RT instructions call for "data set 1", but that might have been for Motec version 2.XX firmware/software, best that I could tell the corresponding format would be the ADL data set.

With the Motec setup this way, I am unable to get any data to display on the DASH3. DL1 (configured to decode serial data) logged data is also not showing anything. I also tried connecting the DASH3 directly to the ECU interface with a terminator and cannot get any ECU data to display.

I have checked the RS232 wiring multiple times, also tried swapping the TX/RX lines. If I set the Motec to output on the CRC32 data set (number 3), the DASH3 would display some nonsensical values instead of just zeros as I would see with the ADL data set. So I believe the RS232 wiring is OK, and the issue is with the protocols.

I would like to get this working, as this was the ECU interface was my main criteria for getting this RT setup. Any help would be appreciated!

Support

Postby Support » Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:34 pm

The easiest way to check this is to connect the output of the ECU interface to a PC using the serial port. Then use the ‘lite monitor’ software to look at the data from the unit. If the output mode is set incorrectly from the ECU then you are unlikely to see any data at all coming up on the monitor software. Try this and see what data you can get coming up on the lite monitor with the different settings on the ECU software. If you are able to sample any of the serial output from the ECU using hyperterminal or other RS232 terminal software please send it through to mhill (at) race-technology.com and he will take a look at the data to make sure that it is the correct format.

GMS Racing

Postby GMS Racing » Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:40 pm

Kuah,

Did you ever get this to work? I have just done an install into my BMW MINI with a DL1 (mark 1 green connectors) firmware 28-2, Dash2 firmware 9.1.9 and a ECU serial interface, firmware is for Motec M800 data set 3 090529. My M800 is 3.52J. These are all the latest levels for all devices.

Voila, it all works perfectly. :D :D :D

Please note that RT now specify Motec Data Set 3 and not Data Set 1. Motec Data Set 1 is for the Motec ADL. Motec Data Set 3 is 'third party devices' and uses CRC32. It can communicate at 19200 or 38400 bps. Mine is set to 19200. To change this open the Motec ECU Manager and load your map. Then go to Adjust > General Setup > Communications > RS232 Telemetry Setup. Make baud and data set as above and save. Don't forget to load the new map into the Motec.

Let me know if this fixes your problem.
Regards,

Gary...
Johannesburg
South Africa

Return to “General software support”