USB to serial port adapter issues with VISTA OS

ufl racing

USB to serial port adapter issues with VISTA OS

Postby ufl racing » Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:25 am

I am running version 6 software with a DL90.
My old XP laptop quit and the new laptop has vista and will not download data.
I keep getting the error that it cant connect, turn off and check to make sure it is connected.
I am using everything the same and it works on my desktop with XP but not the laptop with Vista.
I have checked and the device manager and it says the usb /serial adapter is installed correctly.
I am using the latest vista driver for the usb adapter.
I have made sure the com port is configured correctly with the computer and the software.
I have tried several different com ports.
The device manager doesn't show anything else using the com port.

Anybody had this problem with Vista know what to do.

I cannot get any response from support because it is a port issue.

So I now have a worthless DL90 unless someone can give me some help.

faraday

Postby faraday » Sun Jun 14, 2009 4:23 am

You may have done this already... If not, rename the port to the same COM number that works on the desktop. Check that the Baud rate is the same too.
Good luck

ufl racing

Postby ufl racing » Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:29 am

I did try that already. No luck.
I did notice though that it installed as a motorola modem driver for the usb serial adapter in the device manager instead of under the serial ports.

I had the dl90 plugged in when it installed the Usb adapter on my desktop.

So i am thinking it looked at the dl90 as a modem to pick the driver.
It works on the desktop so I am going to uninstall the usb adapter on my laptop & reinstall with the dl90 plugged in and let it pick the driver and see what happens.

I will update what happens.
Jeff

ufl racing

Postby ufl racing » Sun Jun 14, 2009 7:01 pm

Okay I uninstalled the prolific USB to serial adapter driver and tried to reinstall it.

The serial adapter says it is working correctly but when I launch the DL90 analysis software and set the port to match. then hit download logger I am getting this error now:
The device may contain the incorrect version of firmware for this application or the serial port is being used by another application (possibly a PDA)

I have verified that the port is not being used by another application.

Is there a firmware update I need for the Vista OS ?
Jeff

Support

Postby Support » Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:40 pm

What is the number of the serial port that you are trying to access on the PC?

Kind regards,

Support

ufl racing

Postby ufl racing » Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:50 pm

Support wrote:What is the number of the serial port that you are trying to access on the PC?

Kind regards,

Support

Port #3 the last time but I have tried 3.4.5.6.7.
I have uninstalled on all ports, re installed on just one. (several times.)
Jeff

Support

Postby Support » Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:52 pm

Port 3 is nearly always the internal modem on a PC. If you go to the hardware manager you should be able to see what serial ports are installed and then work out which port you should be trying - that might be a place to start?

Kind regards,

Support

ufl racing

Postby ufl racing » Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:36 pm

Support wrote:Port 3 is nearly always the internal modem on a PC. If you go to the hardware manager you should be able to see what serial ports are installed and then work out which port you should be trying - that might be a place to start?

Kind regards,

Support

I have looked in the hardware manager for which serial ports are installed and I have tried several different serial ports that are installed and there is nothing else using them but the analysis software still will not connect to the logger.
I have the software connected to a installed serial port and it will not connect.
worked fine with the old XP OS laptop & I installed it on my desktop which is XP OS and it works, just wont work with the vista OS.
Jeff

Support

Postby Support » Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:01 pm

Unfortunately this looks like a Vista compatibility issue.

Version 6 of the software was created before Vista was made available and therefore it is possible that some functionality is lost.

I know it is quite frustrating when these sort of compatibility issues come to light, but unfortunately there is very little we can do about them.

There is always the option of installing XP on the new laptop alongside Vista, it is possible to run two operating systems on the same PC.

ufl racing

Postby ufl racing » Fri Jun 19, 2009 4:13 pm

Support wrote:Unfortunately this looks like a Vista compatibility issue.

Version 6 of the software was created before Vista was made available and therefore it is possible that some functionality is lost.

I know it is quite frustrating when these sort of compatibility issues come to light, but unfortunately there is very little we can do about them.

There is always the option of installing XP on the new laptop alongside Vista, it is possible to run two operating systems on the same PC.

Has there been anybody try to run the version 6 software for the Dl90 on Vista operating system.
Jeff

Support

Postby Support » Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:46 am

Not that I know of, we have not performed compatibility tests in house and I have not heard from other customers using version 6 with Vista.

ufl racing

Postby ufl racing » Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:42 am

Okay I finally got a dual booting system together on my laptop and I am running XP OS.

I still can not get it to connect and download the runs.
I can get it to connect to the logger configuration.
When I try to erase the logger from the software it says that the data may be corupt and turns the samle light on and then will not shut off with out unplugging it.

I have cleared the data from the logger by using the power button on the logger and it still does the same thing.

I dont understand why I can connect to the logger now to configure it but I cannot download any data.

I am begining to wonder if it is the logger gone bad.

I cannot connect to it from my desktop any more either.
Jeff

ufl racing

DL90 partially works

Postby ufl racing » Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:26 am

Ok i can get the monitoring software to work on XP and the logger configuration option to talk to the logger but it still will not download data.

Is it a broken logger?

Pleas help I have been fighting this for sometime now and would like the use of my DL90 back.
Jeff

Return to “General software support”