Power on to DL1 / Dash 2

RogerFord

Power on to DL1 / Dash 2

Postby RogerFord » Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:42 pm

The installation instructions for the DL1 suggest it should be wired to its own switch because it shouldn't be switched on when cranking the engine.

But the Dash2 doesn't work unless the DL1 is switched on (at least mine doesn't).

What am I supposed to do? I've currently got both wired with the ignition switch, so they both come on together when I turn the ignition on.

Is this OK, or is there really a risk of me corrupting data on the card when cranking the engine? I don't expect to have the logger actually logging when I crank it.

jlucas

Postby jlucas » Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:55 am

Most installs I'm aware of are to the ignition and mostly trouble free but that doesn't mean there isn't an issue that RT has seen that could come up.

It wouldn't take much to just add a switch in your existing wiring and never have to worry about it.

Edit: your dash should be getting it's own power feed and not coming off the 12v feed on the DL1 (which has a low current limit).
Jeremy Lucas
Fast Tech Limited - a Race Technology Dealer

GMS Racing

Postby GMS Racing » Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:31 pm

Perhaps I'm tempting fate, but 2 different DL1's in several different cars have always been wired to turn on before the engine is started - with absolutely no problems.

Can't understand why you need power on the DL1 to make the Dash 2 work!
Regards,

Gary...
Johannesburg
South Africa

RogerFord

Postby RogerFord » Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:19 pm

See this thread. I guess I have one of the batch where the DL1 needs to be connected - and needs to be switched on.

If the DL1 isn't switched on, my Dash2 starts completely locked up, with the serial connection icon indicating that it's receiving data, but nothing else working.

osborni

Postby osborni » Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:25 am

That admonition is probably from older cars where the voltage regulator on the alternator or even the generator isn't that great.

Return to “General software support”