DL1 Not Logging

redmistracing

DL1 Not Logging

Postby redmistracing » Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:19 pm

Hi,

I have been using a DL1 for a couple of years... We had some spurious data from a recent event, and then decided to reconfigure the logger to autostart on wheel speed rather than our external push button. We then removed the button. Now we have a problem. The power light lights up, and the GPS LED finds fixes. The log status light also flashes on power up. The problem is that it won't log - even when the button on the actual unit is pressed.... what should I try to rectify this?

Tim

faraday

Postby faraday » Thu Jun 05, 2008 3:47 am

As you are across configuration, you have probably checked these things:

CF card is full or otherwise buggered
Some conflict/error in file or directory naming - reached 99 runs, etc

redmistracing

Postby redmistracing » Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:35 am

Yep, I checked the card, and formatted it. So there were no directories on the card.... Its a bit confusing!

faraday

Postby faraday » Thu Jun 05, 2008 2:57 pm

The behaviour of DL1s in this regard has changed with hardware and firmware revisions. It might make sense to R-T, who you should not delay contacting. The squeaky wheel gets the grease :!:
It is certainly beyond my understanding.
I did not take notes of the instances of possibly similar "no logging" behaviour I have experienced. It was several years ago.
The only way that I could get logging to work on several occasions on several "new" cards was to manually put an RTxxxxxx directory on them.
Try that before you bother the Nottingham lads.

Support

Postby Support » Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:04 pm

I am a little confused when you say that you are set up to autotrigger based on wheel speed. You can autotrigger based on GPS speed, on accelerometer values, or on analogue values. But not on wheel speed.
I suggest turning off all autostart/autostop functions and see if you can log with the button. Then try setting to autostart/stop based on longitudinal g-force and see what happens.
Also, check on a PC to see if there is any data coming out of the serial port on the DL1.

Martin

bsclywilly

Postby bsclywilly » Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:10 pm

I'm experiencing a similar problem. I reverted back to manually start/stop logging but the button isn't responsive. What I found works is to insert the cf card after powering on the logger. Then pressing the start button works but this is a pain to remember to do everytime. Is this issue related and what's the fix?

faraday

Postby faraday » Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:42 pm

I can't speak for red mist's issue, but offer the general advice of reformatting the card, trying a new card, or sending a new configuartion to the logger.
Is your 'redundant' SETUP.BIN still on the card?
Of course, it should not have changed and I assume it will be 'resetting' the logger each time it is powered up or when the card is inserted. I.E, its just as good as a 'new' configuration file.
Just because you (may) still have a logger configured for autostarts does not render it cantankerous towards manual starts, in my experience. On the odd occasions when button pressing didn't work, attention to the card was usually a sufficient cure.
I must say my preference is for not just power up before insertion, but waiting for GPS fix as well. This preference was in response to false logging starts when the logger thinks the speed threshold has been reached, and/or date errors in the folder naming operation. Nevertheless, I frequently must contend with undercover starts... and I am so paranoid about data loss that I'll not just give the logger more than one manually started logs immediately before a session, but also remove the card and check that a file has been created!

Yesterday I checked the format properties of a brand new card. As Expolorer said FAT, which I took to be FAT16, rather than FAT32, I tried to log, but had files created that were only recognised as directories.
Re-formatting the card from the File menu in Analysis fixed it.
At least in the current version, this names the card "RT".

In the distant past, I have occasionally been presented with cards that refused to be logged to until I manually named them. Sometimes I even had to create a directory with the day's date to match what the default configuration was meant to create :!:

HTH

:)

Return to “General software support”