RPM [5v] Connection

DavidRowley

RPM [5v] Connection

Postby DavidRowley » Fri Apr 25, 2008 5:56 pm

ok i got a Hall effect sensor that uses 4-30VDC and conected this to the 12VDC on car and the Signal wire to the RPM [5v] on back of the DL1 Logger my Dash two is configured to use RS232 for RPM but none are shown i connected the Live monitor software to check teh new hall effect sensor it showed 5100 is RPM when i revv the Car it increases accordingly i can Send the data i logged it but why oh why doesnt the Dash two show any information ive included i diagram of my Crank pully

AS you can see theres three Holes so it pulses 3 times in one rotation or is it 6 times.?? need help configureing the dash two to show the data and the DL1 to logg it correctly please

this is the 4th if not 5th post on this issue and am feeling a little offput

DavidRowley

Postby DavidRowley » Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:15 pm

some one once said read the small Print..

once i read the small Print i forgot to install a 1K pull up resistor to make it a Digital Pulse. Doh.. ill buy one tommorow and solder it accross the vcc and 12+ connections then see how things operate.

or would i be better connecting to the +5V ref and use another type of resistor please advise if anyone knows.

DavidRowley

Postby DavidRowley » Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:00 pm

fitted a 1.1k Resistor to the volt and output as described
NO RPM data n dash two

logged data in analisys is complete rubbish

when i plug in a monitor lite i see a raw value of 68 at a tick over of 1000rpm and 163 at rpm of 4000 ish so why doesnt the dash display a scale . and how do i change the one in the DL1 as the monnitor lite says the RPM real value is 3000-12000 depending on when ya look at it.

DavidRowley

Postby DavidRowley » Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:28 pm

self help is always the best

63X18 = 1134 63X16=1000 63X12 =763 RPM
163X18 = 2963 163X16=2600 163X12=2000 ish.
588X16=9000 588X12= 7000

if these are correct then i need to make the DL/Dash2 RPM calculation = inputX18=output or 12 .. mmm they both devide by 3.. into hole numbers.

Does anyone else concure i was getting a flicker of the third bar on the dash and the anisys said 588 but 588X18 =10k. i know i red lined at 7000 as i was testing. but how can i scale the signal..please

faraday

Postby faraday » Sat Apr 26, 2008 10:38 pm

Hi Dave

I assume the trigger wheel is the camshaft pulley.
Each turn of the camshaft obviously sees the engine go through a complete cycle so if you have four cylinders, there are four sparks.
However, you are trying to count revs, not sparks, so the number of cylinders is irrelevant.
If there was a single trigger on the wheel, the number you'd put in the box would be 1. :!:

Your diagram shows that there should be three trigger events per pulley rotation, but there might be more. If there happen to be six, it is not because the hole has two "edges". The detection circuit needs to see two (a rising and a falling) to make its pulse output, but what about Cherry's secret p.18?
Does your circuit work with a 1k resistor?
:evil:
Next potential problem.
:twisted: What connects the pulley to the shaft?
Is this close enough to the sensor to cause more pulses?

If you have the appropriate resistor circuit (depends on your suply voltage), it doesn't matter how many pulses there are until the thing spins to fast and the thing saturates, but the engine would probably break long before this.
There will still be a signal (frequency of pulses) that rises and falls evenly with RPM.

:)

DavidRowley

Postby DavidRowley » Sun Apr 27, 2008 1:32 am

the hall effect sensor is in the middle of the holes not nearer the middle or edge made sure i got centres it 1-2mm from surface of the pully i had the dash two set in RPM to 6 no effect. i logged the data and tried using the DL1 with monitor light it showed the numbers above

ill ring Rach-technology on monday getting tired of trying things and all the eninneering and parts are costing a small fortune for sumthing that should simpley work from box. at least

let alone try 5 things each not giving any good responce.

:cry: :?

faraday

Postby faraday » Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:52 am

:oops:
:? I've confused myself. Above, next to the exclamation, I have erroneously left out a step, which would say that for one revolution of the camshaft there are two revs of the crank, so the box should say 0.5, not 1. :oops:

It appears from Help that non-integer values are legal, at least in "vehicle options" within "Analysis".

:roll:

DavidRowley

Postby DavidRowley » Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:09 am

OK OK OK

the Dash 2 and DL1 are now functioning correctly

Seams i get 80 pulses to 1000 rpm this gives 1000 devided by 80 =12.5 use this in the Dash 2 RPM calculation inputX12.5=output and hey presto

the dash analog works great

however i have read all the information on the race technology site and there explaination doesnt mention this calculation or why or when to use it could i ask Andy or some one to update the information somthing like

Using the monitor light check your actual pulse count against what your cars tick over say 1000rpm should be, then in the Dash 2 configuration program select rpm from the first screen

devide the number of pulses counted into the tick over and use that value in "enter an equation maually "

the 3rd box down enter the number you got

set your rev limit and light interval on the rpm screen

and i belive the card you had was the "Ace of Spades" Magic.. our morris.

Support

Postby Support » Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:39 am

I will get something added to the knowledge base with this information on it.

Regards,
Martin

Return to “General software support”