PPP - Precision Point Positioning

m3driver

PPP - Precision Point Positioning

Postby m3driver » Sun Nov 26, 2006 5:23 pm

I stumbled across PPP while reading the help file. Is that a DL1 feature? I don't see it in the Analysis dialog as the help file states.

thanks

Marco

jlucas

Re: PPP - Precision Point Positioning

Postby jlucas » Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:35 am

m3driver wrote:I stumbled across PPP while reading the help file. Is that a DL1 feature? I don't see it in the Analysis dialog as the help file states.

thanks

Marco

Unless things have changed, I believe that is only an option on the DL2.
Jeremy Lucas
Fast Tech Limited - a Race Technology Dealer

RTUSA
Site Admin

Postby RTUSA » Tue Dec 05, 2006 2:41 pm

Jeremy is correct, it is currently offered only as a DL2 option.

PPP is a fairly new way of applying a "differential GPS" correction without using an extra fixed base station. PPP uses correction factors available via Internet from JPL et al. Sort of a super version of WAAS.

Allows significantly enhanced positional accuracy during postprocessing.

Cost and convenience-wise, not really a practical option for most racing applications, more useful for fine analysis, brake testing, etc.
Al Seim
Race Technology USA

Stan

Postby Stan » Sun Jul 01, 2007 7:46 pm

RTUSA wrote:Jeremy is correct, it is currently offered only as a DL2 option. PPP is a fairly new way of applying a "differential GPS" correction without using an extra fixed base station. PPP uses correction factors available via Internet from JPL et al. Sort of a super version of WAAS.
Allows significantly enhanced positional accuracy during postprocessing.
Cost and convenience-wise, not really a practical option for most racing applications, more useful for fine analysis, brake testing, etc.

It could help whatever happened here too, DL1 with a 50 foot shift. In the mean time I'll try a WAAS enabled DL1 the next time I run there, in about a week.

Support

Postby Support » Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:57 pm

Update on this.... new DL1s now have support for raw mode and in the very near future PPP will be an option.

Thanks

Andy

Support

Postby Support » Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:58 pm

BTW: the data in the above example looks really horrible, far worse than is typical! Where was the antenna mounted in this case?

stephen hooker

I get similar results

Postby stephen hooker » Sat Apr 05, 2008 7:49 am

I get the same results as this when running two laps of a track within 5 minutes! I put it down to the location of the circuit in a forest, and the trees are knocking out the GPS signals. Other circuits that are more "open" do not cause as much trouble. My antenna sits on top of the roll hoop on an open wheeler . . . I cant get more exposed than that.
Stephen Hooker
Sydney, Australia

Support

Postby Support » Sat Apr 05, 2008 6:07 pm

That's a great place for the antenna... sounds like it is just the trees then.

Typically trees don't cause too many problems unless they are wet (water blocks GPS 100%). But if the trees are dense it can cause reduction in accuracy as we have here.

Andy (RT support)

boxheadmr

Postby boxheadmr » Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:03 am

Stephen,

i had this exact same problem and the unit had to be sent back to RT in the UK, aparently it is a GPS issue relating to Australia?
They updated the firm wear which didn't work and then had to replace the unit, Renato from Moto Kentic sorted it all out with RT UK but it did take quiet some time to work out the problem and then get it sent over to be fixed.
I purchased the unit last year and started to get the problems from first use, got Renato to come and check it out and we preformed a few checks and realised it was the unit and not GPS signal.

Matt

Return to “GPS-specific questions”