More GPS Track drift questions

mebilloz

More GPS Track drift questions

Postby mebilloz » Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:54 pm

Hi All

I have a DL1 purchased about 12 months ago. Until recently I have been doing hillclimbs etc where the track is 'open' and GPS drift was not a real issue.

I did some track work over the weekend and it became significant. I had set up a track marker file to check lap times during the event etc. What was evident, was that the GPS drift over a 10 minute session meant that it missed a number of the markers. In analysis they were auto deleted as they did not even cross the track.

Not sure how to post a picture in this forum of the track overlays, but the error is greater than the track width in many places.

I am unsure where to look for how many satelites I was recieving during the event in the data?

I am running a Lotus 7 replica with the GPS antenna just behind the 3mm polycarbonate wind deflector screen. Beyond that, it has a clear line of sight upwards with little else around it. The cable is coiled up under the dash (is that an issue)? Not expecting mm precision, but better than it is would make it more usable.

I am in Australia FWIW, the track was away from 98% of possible interferences.

Thanks

Bill[/img]

mebilloz

Postby mebilloz » Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:29 am

I think I understand some of these errors, but only a couple.

Update - Files of track data can be found at for the support team at RT if you want them, here

http://members.dodo.com.au/~wm1145/

Bill

jeffw

Postby jeffw » Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:26 am

I had some issues originally with my setup in my Phoenix (behind a lexan screen) but I solved it by putting on the top of the rollcage. So get the gps sensor on the highest part of your cage or rollbar and you should see this working correctly.

mebilloz

Postby mebilloz » Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:55 am

Thanks Jeff

I thought that Lexan would be invisable to the GPS though after sending a couple of pics to the RT team they have suggested I move it to ontop the roll hoop. Will be doing this over the weekend and comparing it to behind the deflector/

Thanks

Bill

Return to “GPS-specific questions”