Straight Through Mode on DL1?

RussTypeS

Straight Through Mode on DL1?

Postby RussTypeS » Wed Aug 23, 2006 6:41 pm

Is there any way to get the DL1 to output only GPS data over the serial port like the DL90 could?

RTUSA
Site Admin

Postby RTUSA » Thu Aug 24, 2006 2:28 pm

Russ:

You can configure what the DL1 sends out of the serial port using the DL1 configuration software.

You will need a recent install of the Analysis software (from http://www.race-technology.com/WebPage2 ... nload.html

And 6-x (ideally 7-x) DL1 firmware, available at http://www.race-technology.com/Firmware/DL1/

Use the Reflash utility that comes with the Analysis install, plus the supplied serial cable, to update the DL1 firmware, if required.
Al Seim
Race Technology USA

chumpy36

Postby chumpy36 » Thu Aug 24, 2006 2:38 pm

Actually, it appears to be in the GPS configuration app in the other section. It looks like you can set up nmea for the dl1 using the external port.

Any tips or tricks from anyone who's done this?

Erik

Postby Erik » Fri Aug 25, 2006 7:03 am

Russ and chumpy

See my post: GPS configuration problems.

You need a special serial cable to connect to the right pins of the serial output.
The standard RT cable will not do.
Then you can configure your GPS output with the RT software.

Erik

RussTypeS

Postby RussTypeS » Fri Aug 25, 2006 2:45 pm

Thanks Erik, I'll give that a shot tonight. I ran into the same problem you did when using the RT supplied cable. I should have stated that I was looking for NMEA compatible GPS output.

This should be better documented, It's a pretty cool feature if it works. Handy for racers driving all over the country trying to find race tracks in the middle of nowhere...

Support

Postby Support » Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:38 pm

Hi,
Although you can set up the second serial port on the DL1 to output NMEA messages, you must be careful NOT to reconfigure the internal port on the DL1. By default the second port is already configured to output $GPRMC and $GPGGA at 1Hz. If you reconfigure the internal port as used by the DL1 you can stop the DL1 from working. On more recent DL1s you will find that the configuration is lost when the unit is turned on, and if you do screw up the internal port it will be reset on power on. This applies to all versions with a firmware version of X-5, such as 7-5 thru 12-5.

Regards,
Martin

Return to “GPS-specific questions”